Chapter 24-

"Where is it coming from?!" Todd yells to me as we run down the street.
I can't catch my breath so I don't answer, just motion for a left turn.
"ASHER!!!!"
Zoey sprints over to me and hugs me.
"Please don't leave us again!"
I'm ticking like crazy and can barely catch my breath.
"Ready?" Jamie asks.
"WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY?!?! You heard that scream!" Zoey exclaims.
"How can you be sure it's from house forty?" Jamie insists.
"Just go you pipsqueeks! Jamie literally says every year she's going to go and then never does because she is such a chicken!"
"I am NOT!"
"Bach!! Bach Bach Bach Bach!!" Todd laughs as he jumps around like a chicken.
"Just, just, G-GO HOME!!!" Jamie yells in frustration.
"You sure didn't feel that way when you called balling your eyes out like you do every year!"
"I'M GOING!" Jamie yells running down the street.
"She's actually doing it?! Let's follow her."
Of course, gullible me starts chasing after Jamie.
"Todd?"
I turn around.
"SUCKS TO SUCK!" He screams from a distance.
That little...
The shriek is growing louder and louder as we begin to approach the house.
"We are here now. So now what do we do?" Jamie asks.
"I don't know! This was all your idea!"
Jamie slowly lifts up her arm, hesitantly opening a finger out of her clenched fist, slowly reaching toward the doorbell...
"STOP!"
We all freeze.
"Don't ring the doorbell!" The girl warns as she slams the door open with one hand, holding a younger boy's hand with the other.
"See? We give out candy to the trick or treaters. Everything is oh-kay!"

"Aly?..." I bellow.
Her face turns white.
"Asher...I uh..."
Jamie and Zoey just look at each other, and the boy looks like he just had a temper tantrum.
"Asher. Uh..umm. What brings you here?"
I motion toward Zoey and Jamie.
They are expressionless.
Aly motions for me to sit down next to her on the steps.
"You're our first trick or treater in years."
I try to crack a joke but I can't speak.
"My little brother...he has autism. He gets overstimulated by loud noises so every time a door bell rings he screeches...and...I feel so stupid that I didn't want you to know about him..how can I..."
Tears start to roll down Aly's face.
"Come. Stop." I put my arm around her.
"You are amazing Aly Roth. And we are going to have an amazing time tonight."
"You still want to go..with me?"
"Are you kidding?!" I chuckle.
"I've been looking forward to this all week long!"
Aly smiles.
She's so pretty..even when she cries..
She wraps her arms around me and holds on for a while. We just sit like that and enjoy the silence in each other's warm presence.
"Thank you, Asher Westman."