Chapter 7

After two weeks I was settled into my new routine. After two months nobody asked questions anymore, the pack accepted that they had a female training for warrior. Once a week our whole family had dinner with each other. My mother and aunt cooking up a storm at either of their houses. I barely managed to stay awake half the time and I was sore all the time. The Alpha was now simply Richard to me and Miri was awesome, sometimes they joined our family gatherings with Matt but his training was even more intense than mine because he was so much more advanced.

After eleven months Richard called me into the office with the Betas and Miri. I was tired from a hard day of training and mentally quite exhausted. It was my constant state now, exhausted. If it wasn't physical it was mental. The things that Miri did to help run the pack were much more interesting and challenging than I ever expected. I was allowed to shower before meeting them and quickly dressed in sweats and a tank top rushing back to the office as fast as my tired legs could carry me.

"How are you doing Ariel?" Richard asked me as I sagged into a chair beside Matt.
"I'm alright sir." I answered. He gave me a look and I understood he wanted truth not politeness so I said. "I've never been this tired in my life. There hasn't been a moment where I'm not sore, training hasn't eased, it's just gotten harder. Also, I didn't realize Miri did so much in the pack and I don't have a clue how she can be so freaking bubbly all the time. No offense. And don't start me on actual training with the warriors... I thought my brothers were bad.. eugh!"
"Is anyone bothering you?" George asked with a sharp edge, he was after all in charge of training plans for warriors, trainers and all the pack security.
"Oh nono, no not at all! That's not what I meant. I know why they tested me the first few months. My brothers and my cousins are pretty competitive and Drew, don't start me on him. I grew up fighting hard, climbing high and running fast. Well, I thought I did but your trainers have introduced me to a whole new shade of hell! I have muscles hurting that I didn't even know I had and I've been at it for almost a year. I really thought I would get used to it but I'm still sore every damned day."
George, Richard and Miri laughed with the other Beta, the politician of our pack. Matt and I didn't, he knew my pain.

"We are working you harder than anyone else." George told me.
"So I've heard. The guys actually told me that, they were worried."
"Oh they came to me when the trainers didn't reply to the 'why' of the matter. I told them the truth. You can handle it."
"Thanks, I guess." I mumbled.
"I am quite proud of you actually. You don't complain. You haven't caved under the pressure and you are improving faster than anyone I have ever seen. You will be able to deal with any challenge." He looked at Richard and Miri. Richard nodded and spoke up.

"That brings us to why you are here tonight Ariel. The Elders wish to assess you."
"What? Why? What did I do to deserve that? The Elders?"
"Calm down child. You did nothing wrong. It's been almost a year. They granted me time to train you and we have been working you extremely hard because of this. They wish to assess if you are really Alpha material and I had a year to prepare you because meeting the Elders isn't something easy. One at the time their power isn't so bad but even for an Alpha their combined power is overwhelming."
"Well shi_" I started saying but Miri cut me off with a gentle reprimand.
"Ariel sweetheart?"
"Sorry." I hung my head.

"I'm afraid that the year is almost up and your birthday is fast approaching. I will let you chose if you want to go before or after. Technically we have until the exact day I informed them last year, so that is the end of the month."
I thought for a minute. Everyone waited with pity in their eyes. Matt grabbed my hand in quiet support. "Before I suppose. Or I will be too worried and.. yeah.. we might as well do it as soon as possible."

Much to my surprise Matt chuckled and put his hand up and high five George then they both held their hands out to the other three. They reluctantly put money on their outstretched palms. The slightly scary warrior, George, winked at me. "The boy and I bet against the Alpha and Luna that that was what you'd say. And... the man that is supposed to have the best people skills in our pack, beside the Luna, bet against you with them. They thought you would put it off as long as possible."
I wasn't sure if I was insulted or not. They had bet on me.