Enders (15)

The last thing I'd ever expected was to meet Dex's mother, especially in the house that he grew up in. It just seemed like such an obvious place, but I guess that was why she hid there. Having the ability of becoming invisible was pretty helpful as well.

Dex couldn't deny how happy he was. He had been angry, but i knew how relieved and excited he was with the fact we had found his mother.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" he suddenly asked me, and I hadn't even realized I add been starting at him, a goofy grin on my face.

"I'm just... happy," I answered, since it was the truth. "I'm happy that you're happy."

Dex leaned back on the couch and pouted. "Well, I think I'd be more happy if it was just you and me here. Alone."

I gasped, feigning disgust. "Were you planning on taking advantage of me?"

When Dex suddenly leaned in, so close I could feel his breath on my face, I shut up, not expecting him to come so close so suddenly.

"Would I really be taking advantage of you?" he questioned, his voice low and sultry. "You're saying that you don't want me as badly as I want you?"

My breath caught in my throat, my joking demeanor gone How was it that he could always fluster me with just words?

"Your mom will be downstairs any second," I excused, since there was no way I could answer his question.

"She's right, you know," a new voice answered, and suddenly Rebecca appeared right in front of us, in new clothes with her hair and makeup done.

I bit down on my lip to stop myself from shouting out in surprise, and Dex moved to the other side of the couch and away from me so quick, you could have mistook him for Anthony.

"Oh, my. Whatever could I be interrupting?" his mother gasp, smiling behind her hand as she side-eyed us. "I'm hoping I'm not interrupting the pre-conception of my grand-babies or anything."

"Oh, my God," I groaned, scooting even farther away from Dex and sinking far back into the couch, wanting nothing more than to just disappear. Dex merely face-palmed.

"You two are very close, I see," Rebecca smiled, playful and teasing, and I couldn't help but feel incredibly uncomfortable as this conversation continued. "How do they feel about that over at the DAU?"

Dex and I looked at each other, neither of us actually knowing the answer. We knew relationships were frowned upon between teammates, due to what had happened in the past; not only to our parents' team, but also to Hank and Nay's as well.

"Forbidden love is the best kind," Rebecca shrugged, taking our silence as a negative answer. "Let's just hope you don't have a third teammate who wants one of you for themselves."

I thought about our teammates back at the DAU. Aiden, who was too busy caring about himself and obsessing over Kristie. Kristie, who was in her own little world worrying about her own problems. And Anthony, who seemed like he couldn't have cared less about any sort of relationships.

No, we didn't have to worry about that. But unlike our parents' team or Hank and Nay's, we didn't have a strong bond with one another. Was it even possible for us to ever achieve a bond as strong as theirs?

I did consider them my friends, even though we did have arguments and disagreements a lot. It took me some time to call them that, but that had been over a year before. It seemed like it had been so much longer than that.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Violet had other boys after her," Rebecca continued, and this seemed to make Dex feel rather uncomfortable. I assumed he was most likely thinking about Tom, who was the only other guy who had ever showed interest in me that I showed interest back in. Even though that had ended up being fake on his part.