Chapter 27.

Ariella

I felt a sense of pride as I sat across from Dante. He was... proud of me. I may have hyperventilated multiple times inside my head, but outside, I was calm, cool.

As I had just learned what gattina meant, it seemed Dante wanted to say something as he smiled to himself, but we looked up to see Roland with his phone in hand.

Karina wanted to speak with Dante.

For my sake and Dante's, I hoped it was nothing that could set him off. Today was going good.

Maybe too good?

Roland sat across from me and begin small talk. But to be frank, I wasn't interested. He was smaller in height and muscle of Dante, but had the jawline and facial features of a movie star.

A cocky one at that.

"So, you're Dante's consort, huh?" He started, excitedly, rubbing his hands together as though he were cold. Probably only on the inside. "Must be nice having all the money in the world at your fingertips."

The tone of his voice and money hungry smile made me uneasy. As if he was selling me a broken TV and making it sound like a great deal. He had only talked for ten seconds and I already felt sick. "Excuse me?"

"Ariella, it's time to go."

I looked up to see Dante standing next to me with Roland's phone still in hand. He looked forward into the distance as he spoke, though.

I don't know what he's looking at or for, but I was perfectly fine with him interrupting my.. very fruitful conversation with Roland.

As Roland walked away to leave he laid a hand on Dante's shoulder, to which his eyes followed and his jaw flexed. "You did good tonight, Boss."

Dante didn't respond as he let Roland leave and by the way his fist bawled and face hardened, I could tell something was wrong.

I stood up, unsure if I should ask him what was bothering him. My eyebrows slightly furrowed as his hand entwined with mine, harshly and he promptly guided towards the opposite direction of the exit.

Something is definitely wrong.

"The door is the other way, where are you going?" I questioned Dante, nervously. Surely, he didn't simply forget where we came in from. I begin to panic. Is he having another mood swing? He should be happy he just sealed one of the most important deals of his career.

Yet, he seemed the complete opposite. He was yet to speak and my words were left ignored. Was it something I did?

I didn't look down once tonight, I don't understand.

My eyes looked in front of him to see a tall brown door that read 'private dinning.' I highly doubted he wanted to have dinner together. He forced the door open and dragged me inside the room, slamming the door behind him, making me jump and whip around towards him.

I slowly took a few steps back towards the opposite side of the room as I looked around. There was a table for two in the middle of dimly candle lit room. I looked back at Dante standing in front of the door with his hands placed in his pocket as he gave me a deadly, unfeeling look.

What did he intend to do in here? My suspicion only heightened when he swiftly took his hand from his pocket and reached behind him.

I heard a click and I soon realized it was the lock on the door. No, what are you doing, Dante? And more importantly, what are you planning to do to me?

"Dante..why are we here?" I asked, my breathing speeding up as my chest rose and fell more quickly now.

The tension in the room raised as he began to take steady strides towards me. With each dominant step forward he took, I took one back, cowering.