CHAPTER TWENTY

'On speaker' Jacq mouthed.

"Hey Tanner," I say to the phone between us.

"What's up?"

"Uh," I look back and forth between the phone and Jacq. Jacq's tapping at her wrist. "What time did you want to meet up?"

"Um, how bout," he pauses and I wait. "An hour?"

"Uh, yeah. Sounds great." What the hell was I doing?

"Vintage Baby?"

"Yeah," I smile.

"Okay, I'll see you then."

"See you then."

I hung up.

"Did he just call you 'baby'?" Jacq asks.

"No, it's a store."

"Oh," she smiles anyway. "You two are actually adorable. It's so clear he likes you."

"What? He doesn't like me." I dismiss the idea. "You've been saying that forever."

"Because it's true."

"He doesn't like me okay."

"But you like him," she squints at me.

No.

Maybe.

"No," she can see straight through the bullshit. "Maybe, Yes I guess." I huff out.

"Aww, you guys are going to live happily ever after. You better get changed if you want him to see you in something other than your pyjamas."

I look down at my clothes, maybe shorts and a sweater wasn't the way to go. I swap my shorts for a pair of clean ones, and the sweater with a long sleeve top.

"Dad gave me some money, so why don't you go shopping while I figure out what he wants."

"Sounds great," she looks at the money from her uncle and snatches it up. "Don't mind if I do."

It's 20 minutes till I said I'd met up with Tan but Jacq and I are still trying to find a car park. "You hop out here and I'll keep looking for a spot," I turn to Jacq, this was pointless. "Buy me something," I say as she leaves and starts toward the centre.

It seriously must be the biggest day of the year because I cannot find one car space in this whole frickin' car park. I give up when I start driving down the back streets that are too far to walk to the shops. My phone starts ringing and I pull over to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey it's me." Tanner's voice is so distinguishable.

"Sorry I'm late I can't park anywhere."

"I was calling you about to apologise that I'm late, I can't find a park either."

"Huh," I exhale.

"Where are you?"

"Uhh," I look around trying to remember which street this is. "Owens Street, I think"

"Oh yeah, I'll be there in a second." He hung up.

Ok then, I guess where talking in some back street, probably better, quieter, so when I hit him, people won't stare.