CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"It's for you," he admits, rolling off of me. When he does, I realise I would much rather have him stay on top of me than open this present.

The whole reason I came out here was to be by myself, and yet, now all I want is Tanner next to me. Oh how life can change in a couple of minutes. I think back to everything, to all the drama and frankly I stop giving a shit. All I can do is smile and say thanks.

"I think you'll like it," he smirks. I know what it is. I don't open it just yet.

"I'm sure I will," his eyebrows furrow when I don't open it. "But first I think we should talk." I didn't want to say it but I think it would be good to just be open. He nods slowly. When I don't say anything I hope he picks up the que to start.

"Oh," he starts after registering he should talk. "I want to apologise for Dom, he's such a dick." I nod. "I never asked him to do that or anything, he thinks he's so cool."

"It's all good," the tears have dried on my face. It wasn't that, that I was sad about, it just acted as the final thing to push me over.

"I'm glad you didn't run away," he says. I smile. Me too. "I've wanted to talk to you since that night on my trampoline, but then all the stealing stuff got in the way. I'm so sorry about Andrew."

I think back to this morning when I saw Andrew, and he didn't recognise me. "It's okay, he never saw me like that, and it was just a dumb fantasy."

"But that's the thing," he shuffles over closer to me, we both sit on the damp grass. "I saw you like that," he pause and my heart completely stops. "He didn't know you, I did."

"But..." I feel physically unable to say words. "Why didn't you... you could have told me."

"Yeah right," he smiles, "and ruin all that hard work, all the flirting. I didn't think you could like me back."

I tilt my head to the side. Boys are stupid. "What made you think that?"

"You liked Andrew, and I read your blogs about Greg," he stops and I rapidly start blushing. All the things I've ever said about Greg, oh god, I take it all back... no I don't.

"Tanner," I say slowly and turn my head to meet his eyes, why doesn't he just understand.

"Natalie," he says slowly looking back at me. Neither of us say anything the air surrounding us begins to warm. "Open it," he gestured to the gift and I smile picking it up.

"I wonder what it is?" I say sarcastically. I tear off the wrapping and I'm faced with it. Freddie Blac's drumsticks. "Thanks," I smile.

"You're welcome," he looks out in front of him.

The bell rings for end of class, considering we only attended half the class anyway. "I should get back," I say standing and heading back over to my things.

"Yeah," he stands and pushes off his pants which only reminds me of him being on top of me.

"I'll see you," he walks away. Well, that was... anticlimactic.