Chapter 22: Better than nothing

"Don't take things for granted because you never realize how much you like someone until you see them with someone else."

Jaimie-mae felt a chill run down her spine as she walked back from work. The street made her nervous, for good reason.

This street was where Fabian was practically tackled down by a car.

Back at work, she had gotten Ryan to finish up with Fabian and his friends. Her nerves were extremely on edge the rest of the night and she was just about ready to snap at anyone who pushed her the wrong way.

When they were closing up, Jaimie-mae had a lot of silence to think about things and she hated it.

Why would Fabian be with a girl like her. Flora seemed like such a nice name, but it definitely did not fit her personality.

Jaimie-mae couldn't help but notice everyone, including Fabian, seemed totally annoyed with her. They didn't seem like they even wanted her there. She began to wonder why Flora was even there in the first place if they disliked her so much.

Jaimie-mae began to shiver when the coldness seeped through her sweatshirt.

She knew now that she was no longer in a good mood. She wanted to kick everything and shout at everything that bothered her.

She wanted to scream about how cold it was. How little her sweatshirt did to keep her warm. How annoying Flora was. How Fabian didn't stick up for her. How Fabian hardly agknowledged her. How Fabian played with her feelings. How much she wished Fabian was only interested in her. She just wanted a chance to scream at Fabian.

Jaimie-mae suddenly turned around as headlights poured over her and a familiar car rolled up beside her.

Her wish had come true. Fabian was there. In the flesh. Right there for her to scream at.

"Jaimie-mae hop in. I'll drive you home," Fabian said as he leaned out of the window of his car.

Jaimie-mae continued to squint at him from the side walk. She realized now that she'd seen him, that she didn't know what she wanted.

"Can you please get in?"

"Why?" It was a stupid question. She knew why. But she still asked.

"Because i need to know that you'll get home safe. Now get in."

Jaimie-mae just stood there frozen as she stared at Fabian.

He sighed and opened the car door and hopped out. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" Jaimie-mae asked quietly. She could see something like... guilt on his face.

"Because, Flora's a... cheap, tacky, foul, uncivilized-" he stopped, obviously not getting his point across. "You know what, straight up, she's a bitch. And i'm an ass."

Jaimie-mae cringed at his choice of words but she shook her head. "You're not a... butt."

He chuckled. "Yeah i am. I should have never let her disrespect you like that." He smirked "But i think you handled her pretty well. I've got to say, when you're mad you look kinda-" he stopped abruptly. "Come on, get in the car."

Jaimie-mae frowned slightly but didn't move. Fabian stared down at her then all of sudden he scooped her off her feet and she squealed loudly. He carried her to the passenger side and threw her in then ran around to the drivers side.

He hopped back in then closed the door behind him. "Buckle up."

Jaimie-mae did as he said then looked down at her hands. She was beginning to feel extremely curios over why Fabian had switched up on her so fast. She looked over at him as he began to drive and studied his face carefully. It was lit up by street lamps every once and a while and she could see him clenching his jaw a bit.

"You're probably wondering why i was even with Flora in the first place, right?"

"N-no."

"You're lying. It's not nice to lie."

Jaimie-mae huffed and bounced her head off the head rest of the car seat. "Fine. Why were you with her if you don't like her then?"

"Because... she was meant as a- my God this is gonna sound so bad. She was meant as a distraction."

Jaimie-mae furrowed her brows. Fabian didn't seem like the type of guy to use girls. "A distraction?"

He cleared his throat awkwardly. "I just want you to know i would never do that to you."

Jaimie-mae's heart thumped faster in her chest.

"Look, i like you. That's why i think we should hang out more... as friends."

Jaimie-mae's ghost smile fell into a subtle frown. Did he just friend zone her?

"Oh, okay. That's cool. A-as long as we still get to hang out."

He took his eyes off the road for a second and smiled at her. "How can i make it up to you though. I still feel bad."

Jaimie-mae thought about it. They were friends now. What did friends do? "Ugh, are you good at school."

"I'd like to think i'm pretty smart. Why?"

"Could you maybe help me with my homework?"

He smiled. "Yeah of course. When?"

"Maybe Thursday. I don't have work then."

"Alright. I'll pick you up and we can work on it at my house," he said with an excited grin.

"Okay." She smiled to herself.

This was better than nothing.