Chapter twenty eight

Oswald was on the back of the G.C.P.D knocking rapidly on the door. After a few seconds the door opened and Oswald jumped inside before anyone could see him entering. Then he turned around to see Jim placing his hands on his hips staring at Oswald.

"Well, this is a first." Jim said and Oswald rolled his eyes as Jim looked around the room to see if anyone was around.

"Are you doing anything about Jerome?" Oswald asked hastily.

"We're looking for him! Do you know where he is?" Jim asked.

"And if I did, do you really think I would just tell you? Have you march in there, guns blazing?" Oswald pointed out and Jim frowned.

"He needs to be stopped! He has everyone under his thumb, Freeze, Firefly, Hatter and especially Elena. They are all part of his plan. A dark, terrible plan." Oswald said and Jim took a step closer.

"Which is?" Jim asked. Oswald closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Scarecrow has made a gas for him."

"Like a fear toxin?" Jim asked with wide eyes. But Oswald shook his head.

"Worse, much worse. I saw it turn someone into a maniacal, cackling, violent animal. The others were all laughing but I was petrified." Oswald explained.

"What is he planning on doing with it?" Jim asked.

"He's smart, he hasn't shared his plans with me. But he's given everyone separate tasks to perform." Oswald said and Jim raised an eyebrow.

"Why has he shared with the others and not you?" Jim asked curious. Oswald paused for a few seconds.

"Because of my relationship to Elena. He's paranoid, thinks I'll take her from him." Oswald said in a way that made it sound stupid. Jim took a step closer.

"I don't know what's been going on Oswald, but getting to close with Elena is not a good idea. Jerome is more protective than ever after she was held captive. If you cross the line he'll have your head, you know that, right?" Jim said and Oswald frowned.

"Don't you think I know that? He scares the living hell out of me!" Oswald spat at him.

"I mean, I was willing to play along with him for a while, he did bring Elena back so. Perhaps he had a way to make us all rich? A return to the good old days, you know? But nothing good will come of this." Oswald said worried.

"Or maybe you just don't like the competition? Jerome casts quite the shadow, and he also gets the girl." Jim asked and raised his chin. Oswald clenched his jaw as he frowned.

"Oh please! He's a maniac, an anarchist! He is not interested in money or power." Oswald started saying sounding offended. "And I am an honest criminal, Jim-" he started but Jim interrupted him.

"Where is he? Where is the gas?" he demanded to know.

"He only tells you what he needs to, when he needs to. I just know he has to be stopped!" Oswald said desperate. But then they heard Harvey shout after Jim. Oswald quickly disappeared out the door and hurried down the back alley. He stopped around the corner to take a deep breath. He leaned his hand to the wall when froze as he heard someone take the safety of their gun.

"You traitor!" He heard when he shot his head around to see Elena gritting her teeth.

"Elena! I.." Oswald started but Elena quickly knocked him in the head with her gun so he fell backwards. He leaned up and placed his hand on his cheek as he groaned. He looked up at Elena and his eyes widened at the gun she was aiming in his face.