Go time

Carter

In an effort to make me look skinny I shove the end of the button up shirt in  my pants tucking it all the way around. I know I'm to skinny anyway but its how these work so I have to do it. The entire time in there I could hear the girls going through my closet. I'm pretty sure they are the reason secret organizations are kept secret. I do a quick comb through in my hair and look at myself in the mirror. I look incredible especially with this stuff on my face. Ok now its time to show them. I turn to the door and slowly put my hand on it. As the door clicks open I hear the girls setting on my bed. I open it dramatically slow till one of them tell at me and throw a shoe at the door. I open the door and step into my bedroom to reveal what I had done in there. I look at the girls so immediately dropped their jaws. I stand there at the doorway as silence fills my room.

"So uh do I look ok girls?"

Still silence filled my room till yvonne stopped staring.

"You don't look good at all." She says while I look at the ground. "You look amazing."

"Thank you I said."

"Ok so you put glitter on your face to make the LGBTQ flag..... but its on one cheek one eye and part of your nose. Like a titled to one side triangle."

"Yes mykah if Adrian thinks he can punch me for not being openly gay then lets see how he takes it when I embrace it."

"Oh no"

The girls wrapped their arms around me and embraced me in a tight warm hug.

"You look amazing"

"Thank you"

"Ok are you guys ready to go? "

The girls both say yes and we hop In the car. I start the engine and let it warm up before we leave. Surprisingly it was still raining so the roads were a little wet. I slowly back out and line myself up to the road and start driving to the school.

"What if you get hit again Carter?" Yvonne asks slouching in her chair.

"Then I'll fight back.... I know how to I just never did because that means I would be as bad a Adrian." I say looking slightly disappointed.

"This wouldn't have gotten so bad if you would have put him in his place a long time ago." Mykah says sitting in the back seat.

"I have my reasons for not doing this sooner.... they may not be especially good but they are my reasons."

The car ride fell silent at the fact I have reasons to not hit Adrian. Between me myself and I.... I have no reasons I was to weak before and I couldn't fight him. Tonight I know for a fact I'm strong enough. Ive got this its my time.

"Carter?"

"Yes yvonne"

"We know you don't have your own reasons.... we know its hard for others to show their true selves in this world....... this world makes it to where they want the illusion of a person showing their true self but when someone does they get ridiculed..... we are proud of you showing yourself."

"Thanks that means alot."

"So um does mason know about this?"

"No because if he did Adrian would get it out of him."

"Wow you thought if everything."

"Yes I did."

We take the one left turn we have and we are close to the school. I drive down the abandoned road to see shining in the air from our school.

"Yvonne did mason text you?"

"Yes he's waiting at the school."

I speed up once I look at the time the dance started ten minutes ago I was already late. I speed down the road looking out for cops and eventually we made it to the school. I pull in and shut off the engine before getting out of the car and walking across the parking lot. As I walk I feel my heart beat faster. My palms get sweaty and I feel sick to my stomach. I can see mason sitting on the walk rails waiting for me. When I reach him he glances up and looks back down Before realizing its me and he shoots up.

"Woah Carter, you look amazing." Mason Says while dropping his jaw.

"Is the glitter to much?"

"What glitter?" He says chuckling at me

He leans over and wraps his arm around my waist and gives me a kiss. Not a normal one.... it was one that was so soft yet so passionate at the same time. As he kissed me I fell deeper into as I put my hand on the back of his neck. When he let go I felt different.... more confident. We all turn to face the door and the sick feeling gets worse and my my palms sweat more. I wipe off my hand and stand still. Before I know it Mason takes my hand in his and the feeling goes away. The girls stand next to me as I take a deep breath and open the door. The smell of sweat and hairspray invade my nose as I walk down the dark hallway. The music echoes through the hallway as the people dance around. We get to the gym and we stand at the door watching the lights shine under the door. The hallway was filled with broken streamers and balloons that were moving along the walls.

"You guys ready." I say looking all of them in the eye.

"Yes" they say patting my shoulder.

"Here we go."

I click the door open and everything stops. People quit dancing. They stopped moving and the music stopped playing.

"Go time."