Escape

Author's  note: Thanks to everyone who is still reading. I have a writing contest going on. For details visit my profile. I would love to read what you guys have written :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared helped me drag Lindsay to the living room as she was sobbing. We set her down on the couch. I grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around her shoulders. Jenny was rocking in the chair and staring through the bars on the window.

"I'll make her some tea," I said.

"Jared!" Gabe yelled from the other side of the house. "Jared, come here and help me."

Jared kissed my forehead before leaving the living room. I took a step back and looked at the front door. I could make a run for it now, but it was too big of a risk with Jared and Gabe still in the house. I would only have one chance, and I would have to take it at the perfect time.

I went into the kitchen and filled the kettle full of water. I leaned against the counter as I waited for the water to boil. I listened as Jared and Gabe were walking around upstairs. There was muttering between the two, but I could not understand what they were saying. A few minutes later they came down the stairs. Jared's back was to me, but I could see that he was holding Theo's legs. Gabe had his hands under Theo's arms, and they were carrying his body downstairs. My stomach churned when I saw Theo's pale face was still splattered with blood.

"We'll be back in soon," Jared said.

"I think we should bring your mom out to the grave after," Gabe said. "I think that it will help with her grieving. I did the same for our daughter."

"You had a daughter?" I asked.

"Leah, you know better than to ask questions," Jared said.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"You're forgiven," he said. "Take care of Mom."

Jared struggled to unlock the door while holding Theo's legs. He kicked the door open, and they left outside. Gabe yelled in frustration as he struggled to lock the door behind him.

I poured a cup full of tea and stirred in some milk. I came back into the living room to see Lindsay curled up on the couch. She had stopped crying, and was looking out the window. She turned to look at me when I came into the room. She tightened the blanket around herself.

"Did they take him outside?" she asked.

I nodded my head. I sat down next to her and passed her the tea. She wrapped her hands around the mug.

"I'm so sorry, Lindsay," I said.

"He was so young," she said. "I thought he was going to have a great future. In four years Gabe would go out and get him a wife and then they would have children. I couldn't wait to have little children running around in this house again. I mean, you and Jared will be having kids, but I was expecting so much more."

Lindsay would have never gotten that even if Theo was alive. My heart sat heavy in my chest when I thought about my last moments with Theo. I was threatening to reveal his secret to his family. I should have never said it.

"Jared and I will not be having kids for awhile," I said.

"Don't worry, Leah," she said. "Jared will give you another month or so to settle in before he starts expecting children from you."

"I didn't know you had a daughter."

Lindsay took in a sharp breath. She chewed on her bottom lip. Her eyes glistened with tears, but she did not start crying again. She looked down at her mug of tea

"I did," she said, before muttering to herself, "now I understand."

She looked up and smiled.

"But now I have you," she said. "I had to wait, but now I have my beautiful daughter."

"I think I am going to go clean," I said, getting up off of the couch.

"Wait!" Lindsay stretched one hand out. "Please, can you just stay with me. I don't want to be alone. I mean, Jenny is here but she's not the greatest company. As much as I love her, it is not the same."

My time was limited. I had to get out, and I had to get out now.

Lindsay's eyes were pleading for me to stay. I could not say no to her. I feared that she would burst out into tears again. I gave her a soft smile and nodded my head.

"I will stay," I said. "Just let me go to the bathroom first."

"Okay," Lindsay said.

She took a sip of the tea as I stepped out of the living room. I could no longer go out the front door. Lindsay could see me, and she would try to stop me. I made my way down the hall and went into the kitchen. I looked out the porch door, and I could not see Jared or Gabe.

I let out a big breath before pulling Theo's key out of my back pocket. My hands shook as I put the key into the lock. I looked down at my feet to see that they were bare. I had no idea where Jared had put my shoes, but I was going to run for it in bare feet.

I opened the door and took a step outside. I sucked in a deep breath of fresh air. I shoved the key back into my pocket. I walked across the creaky porch and followed it as it wrapped around the house. I walked down the steps and onto the long grass. I looked from side to side. There was a thin dirt road in front of the house. The other side of the road was woods thick with trees. My best bet would be to run through the forest. If they saw me on the road, they would get into the truck and chase me down.

"Leah?"

I turned to see Jared was standing next to the truck with a shovel in his hands. His jaw was hanging open. My heart pounded in my chest.

I took off running. The gravel on the driveway dug into my feet. I could hear the gravel crunch under Jared's feet. I took a quick glance behind me to see Jared was chasing me. The pain was relieved from my feet as I got onto the dirt road.

"Leah, get back here!" Jared shouted.

The air was knocked out of me as Jared grabbed my waist. I screamed and his hand covered my mouth. I swung my elbows back and hit him in the stomach. Jared grunted and threw me down onto the road. He pinned me down onto the dirt. He grabbed my wrists and pinned them against my chest.

"What are you doing?" he asked. "How did you get out of the house?"

"Get off me!" I yelled.

I thrashed my body from side-to-side to try and get out from underneath Jared. I kicked my legs as I tried to push myself up. Jared's jaw was clenched, and his eyes narrowed. He tightened his crushing grip on my wrists.

"Leah, answer me," he said. "How did you get out of the house? Did Dad leave the door unlocked?"

"Fuck off," I said.

Jared let go of my hands. He balled up his fist and swung his arm down. Pain exploded across my nose when Jared hit me. I screamed and Jared punched me in the face again. Warm blood trickled out of my nose and onto my lip.

"Watch your mouth," he said. "Don't you dare talk to me like that again."

"Get off me you fucking psycho!" I yelled.

I swung my hands out and smacked him in the chest. He growled and leaned forward. He wrapped his hands around my throat. He tightened his grip, and I struggled to breathe. My chest burned as I gasped for air.

This is it, I thought.

He was finally going to kill me. I should have never tried to run out of the house. I should have known that I would not get far on foot. I should have been more careful once I was outside. I was going to die and no one would know what has happened to me. I would be a missing person's case forever.