Chapter 9 - She won't get away with it

One hand was gripped at the side of her apron as the other was tightly holding Mallory's Frappuccino. Her blood started to boil as she gazed at Mallory in disbelief. Mallory was confused; did she hear what she was thinking? There's no way she could hear what I'm thinking, but why does her expression seem as if she did, she wondered.

Eleta's anger was overwhelming but she hadn't realized her hands were starting to heat up intensely as the anger had coursed to her fingers.

Suddenly, the cup in Eleta's hands began to alter from a tannish color to black. Sparks of fire rose from the cup where her palms were and small amounts of smoke elevated from the glow.

"Oh my gosh!"

Lin swiftly slapped the cup from Eleta's hands and onto the floor but winced in pain where her hand had made contact with the cup. The fire kept rising from the cup and engulfing the floor. Chaos started to rise as the customers sitting at the tables saw the fire brewing behind the counter. Lin shouted, "Everyone out." Shocked by all the chaos, Mallory quickly rushed outside with the others in a panic breaking away from Eleta's glare. Eleta snapped back into reality when she heard everyone's screams now realizing the fire next to her black heels.

She ran into the kitchen as Lin pressed her hand against her shirt calling out to Eleta.

"Eleta, where are you going?! We need to get out of here!"

Eleta rushed back with a fire extinguisher in her hand and sprayed the base of the fire. Fumes of smoke puffed out as the fire died down. She placed the extinguisher on the countertop and exhaled. She glanced over at Lin who was holding her hand in pain.

Eleta rushed over to her.

"What happened? Did you get burned?"

Examining Lin's hands, her hand was bright red.

"When I smacked that cup from your hand, the Frappuccino touched my hand and it burned me."

Lin's lungs began to burn as tears formed at the brim of her eyes. Focusing on Eleta, realization struck her.

"What about your hands Eleta? How did the fire not harm you when you were the one holding the cup?"

Eleta glanced up at Lin trying to grasp onto the whole scene. Did she just make that fire...how did the cup even catch on fire in the first place? She looked down at her smooth, pale hands with no noticeable singe or burnt skin. Lin placed her good hand on Eleta's palms in disbelief.

"How is that possible?! I saw the fire come out from underneath your ha-."

Eleta swiftly closed Lin's mouth in panic and dragged her back into the kitchen. Releasing her grip on Lin's mouth, she looked down at her hands. So, I have the power of fire...just like mom, she thought. How many more powers does she possibly have? Lin observed her actions with curiosity.

"Eleta, are you okay? What happened back there?"

Eleta's eyes fell on Lin. Should she tell her everything?

Tell her. A voice commanded her just now but no one else was here but Eleta and Lin. Was that the Holy Spirit telling her this? Pondering for a bit longer, she sighed. There was really no other explanation Eleta could have given for a cup of Frappuccino to randomly catch fire from within her palms that have miraculously escaped unscathed.

"So, this might sound weird to you and you might think that I'm crazy when I start explaining." She scratched her head glancing down at the floor. Lin raised her eyebrow at her babbling and gestured with her one good hand for her to continue. Taking a deep breath, Eleta speedily explained.