Chapter 4 - I Hope That Girl Isn't Hurt Though

Mallory couldn't believe it. Standing in front of her was Eleta singing in Best Hits Entertainment. The one girl that she didn't want to see the most in this building was now auditioning as a singer for the entertainment industry! How could this happen, she thought as her eyebrows furrowed in disapproval. She was supposed to be the center of attention and here Eleta was hogging it all to herself again.

Being treated like royalty was expected for Mallory since she was the daughter of Mr. Beckham, the CEO of Providence Industries which was a successful and large investment company. She was supposed to have auditioned first, but it seems like BHE didn't get the memo that THE daughter of Mr. Beckham's family was making an appearance today. Otherwise, the director would have allowed her to audition first and seal her spot on BHE's hiring list. Her teeth gritted in anger. She felt like pushing Eleta out of this room right now. Gripping on her auditions paper tightly, she contemplated on what to do to make sure she can still get her spot.

"Ms. Beckham, is everything alright?"

Mallory flinched as her gaze fell on a young female assistant, who was no more than nineteen, looking at her worried. She then realized her teeth were clenched and her eyes were widened in anger. Her perfect mask went up as her fingers touched the bottom of her lip and grinned at the girl.

"Ahh, yes. I was just surprised to see a friend here is all..."

The girl nodded her head quickly before giving a slight bow and turned to leave. As she approached the black-framed door, Mallory quickly placed her hand on the assistant's shoulder.

"I am curious though. How many more spots does the director need to fill?"

The girl's eyes widened at her request.

"Miss, I can't tell anyone that. We're under the director's orders to not let anyone know."

Mallory smiled but not in a kind way. Her grip on the assistant's shoulder tightened.

"Should I remind you of whose daughter you're offending right now?"

The assistant trembled under Mallory's grip as she looked down in silence.

"Be a good assistant and tell me what I need to know...That is if you want to keep your job."

She released her hand from the girl as she nodded in submission. Mallory smirked. Following behind the assistant into the hallways outside the studio, she crossed her arms and tapped her foot impatiently at the girl whose eyes wandered around the hallways unsure. Finally, the assistant quickly whispered.

"The director...he only needed three people to fill on BHE's hiring list. He would have hired more but...the company hasn't been doing well financially."

Mallory's eyes gleamed when she heard the company was in a financial crisis. The girl continued, not noticing Mallory's expression.

"He...already chose two people though..."

Mallory's face fell. If the director had already chosen two people, she would have to hope Eleta wouldn't be the director's last pick. She cringed and looked back at the assistant who was looking at her heels in fear. She rolled her eyes and turned back without thanking the assistant and headed into the studio once more.

This was not good, she thought biting her bottom lip. There was only one more spot left and Eleta might just get her big break and steal Mallory's spotlight...again! Filled with hatred, Mallory controlled the rage that was pulsing through her and began scheming. Eleta hadn't seemed to have seen her yet and was focused on her lyrics as she sang.

She had a beautiful voice and even Mallory couldn't deny it. It's still probably not the best though, she retorted biting her lips. Mallory's eyes swept over to the director who had a blank expression on his face, but his eyes were now focused on Eleta and alerted. She watched the scene unfold in front of her with disgust but maintained her smile as Eleta finished her song and gazed up at the director. Eleta's eyes gleamed with joy. The director was impressed.

"You have potential, kid." Maxwell began writing her name down on his papers.

"You might be able to fill in our company's spot. Look forward to the list of finalists tonight at seven."

Eleta nodded her head eagerly and was escorted by one of the assistants outside the studio. She then noticed Mallory who was standing in the back seething inside. Putting up a pained smile across her face, she mouthed "Good luck" to her. Eleta kindly smiled back and proceeded towards the exit.

Glancing over at the director irritated, she cat-walked her way over to him. Maxwell glanced up and was surprised as he saw this blonde-haired girl standing there with confidence. Aware of whose daughter this was, he quickly stood up greeting her.

"Mrs. Beckham, I didn't realize you came. Are you auditioning today?"

The director shuffled through his papers and hadn't noticed her name being on the audition's list. Otherwise, he would have had her audition first! He began scolding his secretary in his head.

"Yes, I came to audition and begin my new career as an actress." Folding her arms across her chest, she looked around the room as if she was seeing it for the first time.

Mallory's eyes gradually scanned the director's papers and noticed Eleta's name on the last slot. She glanced back at the director's expression. His eyes appeared indecisive as he pushed his papers together. Stacking them together, he quickly responded.

"About that, I've already finished filling in all the slots. I'm planning to send this over to my secretary to announce soon."

Maxwell looked back down and was starting to pack up when Mallory quickly stated,

"You know my dad was planning to invest in BHE if I got on to that list."

Mallory began twirling her hair with her index finger looking down with a sad look on her face.

"But it looks like he won't be able to now..."

The director froze as his face fell. He glanced back at Mallory with a troubled expression.

"...Umm...I mean...I..."

Mallory glanced up with hopeful eyes as the director was pushed into a difficult state. If he hired Mallory, they would be able to get back financially what they lost and more from her father's investment. At the same time, he would be losing his integrity as a director for choosing people for their money rather than their talent. But, he couldn't offend the Beckhams!

The director finally looked back up nodding his head and allowed Mallory to run through her audition. She performed multiple characters from different known films and stories. She isn't bad...she still needs a bit improvement here and there but that could all be arranged with BHE's training program, he thought. She finished her audition and looked up at him as he smiled back.

"You're in, Ms. Beckham."

Maxwell slipped the finalist papers back out and crossed off Eleta's name while scribbling down Mallory's underneath it. She smiled sweetly at the director.

"I hope that girl isn't hurt though. I feel bad that I'm taking her place."

"Don't worry about it too much."

Maxwell stated as he swiftly shoved the papers back in his folder hinting a bit of remorse for his actions. Mallory nodded and thanked the director as she was escorted back to her limo by the nineteen-year-old assistant. Seated in the comfort of her limo, she snuggled into the leather cushion. For the first time in years, she could finally get Eleta off her radar and become the center of attention for sure. Feeling smug, she thought of Eleta's disappointed face at seven tonight.