Part I, Chapter 8: Reigning In The Gutter

Cameron took advantage of this privilege given unto him, that was for sure. He read many more things in that library, that told him things he never would have guessed. He read of philosophy, and of histories, and became quite knowledgeable. He had a hunger for this knowledge, one always hidden within him, but now able to be fully satiated.

It was with this practice, of course, that the dog gradually got better and better at reading the pages, faster and faster at understanding what they meant. He had the time to do this, too, nearly all the time he desired. It was soon the case that he was spending as much time in that room as he was outside, in the gardens.

Speaking of that routine, he found that, other than this new addition of heading off to the library in his free time instead of his room, his daily life remained largely the same.

The main act of the day was still serving his Queen, the lioness he was getting to know more deeply and, in some ways, borderline intimately, through her conversations. As much as he was now a personal musician to her, he was also tasked with listening to Ophelia's varied conversations.

On a rainy August afternoon, though, a third task was added to his list of usual jobs. He knew this was no day to disturb the flowers, getting watered by will and wrath of God Himself, as Iago always said. Cameron hadn't seen too much of that bird, but he was usually around on days when there were blessings or knightings, or to borrow a book from the library. The clacking he made with those talons below his robes... it was ominous. It made the canine wonder if there was ever such a thing as slippers for birds.

Of course, he had much more important things to think about, having pondered that over a light lunch. He knew that, though it was raining, the Queen would still want some sort of entertainment, right? It'd rained before, but never enough to warrant staying inside. A flash of lightning struck a tall rod not too far from the covered balcony Cameron ate at, making him leap. A lightning-storm, this weather was. He whined a little, and hurried off to where he thought the lioness he knew so well would be.

It was as safe as ever in Ophelia's room, in more ways than one. Sure, there were the guards in close proximity to the entrance, but the atmosphere gave off a much different, more subtle kind of safety. The walls were scarlet, and the corners adorned with gold. A painting of a queen from a much older era hung proudly on one of the walls, while an elegant oval mirror above a mahogany nightstand lied on the other. A large, draped bed lied in the center, and, since the drapes were drawn, the collie worried he was intruding on something... or worse, that she was sick.

"Your Majesty?" he very, very softly borked.

"Ahgh! Oh, Jesus, Cameron, you scared me!" the Queen quickly yelped.

"My apologies," Cameron sighed.

"No, you don't have to be sorry," Ophelia assured. "It's just that these storms rile me so much," she stated, with a low mewl.

"Are you hiding from it?" the canine sighed.

"No, it's just n-noisy!" the lioness awkwardly answered.

"It's really okay, Ophelia, it's ju—" Cameron started, but was stopped by the drawing of the curtains. The Queen he spoke to looked, not fearful, but saddened. She looked pale, and almost as if she was crying.

"What're you so frightened for?" Cameron asked, seeing this expression.

"You'd brush it off if I told you. Just like Felix always does," she yelped suddenly. "He doesn't understand."

"Well, you don't know for sure! Maybe I would!" the collie tried to comfort, and listened.

"Wh—" the lioness started, but mumbled and faltered, hesitant to even ask.