Part IV, Chapter 4: When In Rome

It would be redundant to describe the departure of the ship, with how very similar to the departure south those months ago it was, save for a much more optimistic atmosphere in heading east.

Felix waved from the boat to Ophelia, Lætitia, and Marco, while Cameron stood by his side. It was going to be a rather long journey, that was for sure, but a much more pleasant one than last. It was a normal trip, surely, but by no means a boring one. Far better than going off to possible war, it was.

The usual knights accompanied the King, as well as the new addition of Sir Cameron. Though the men were much more battle-hardened, and some of them were old enough to have started their service in the time of the previous King, they seemed to not have too much trouble accepting such an otherwise scrawny-looking collie into their ranks, albeit with the poking context that he was his favorite. They saw firsthand his life-saving expertise with the bow, and that was more than enough justification.

There was plenty of food and plenty of drink, but plenty most of all of song with Cameron aboard. A small guitar was no hassle to bring along, and music seemed to waste the time away, the hearty voices of the knights and ship-crew only being louder within the wooden confines of the vessel.

But the day came, sure enough. The wide Mediterranean led the way to the proud Tyrrhenian, and, soon enough, a coast on the west was in full sight. When the ship finally approached the shore, there was a bit more sailing north to do, but they then found themselves turning into the old Tiber. It was in quite a short time that they saw the skyline of so holy a city, the Basilica peeping over the hill.

The river got too thin for the ship, and it seemed for a few moments that they couldn't go any further. A few large rowboats came along, and the rowers of each beckoned those on the royal ship to come down. Sure enough, they were all rowed right to the square, courtesy of the company-expecting.

"This is a little like Venetia, but the rivers there are plentiful enough to be streets," Felix explained to Cameron, sitting next to him.

"If it's anything grander than this," the collie huffed, "I can't wait."

"Nothing should be said to be grander than Roma, but focus on this, for now," the royal lion said. "Keep your composure, too, for whoever you meet. Even a king has to listen to the folks here," he joked, albeit truly.

The king and knights now walked in holy halls, across finely-polished marble floor. Above their heads and all along the walls were depictions of some of the most hallowed figures in history, as well as the ornate decorations that framed them. Cameron was ever so tempted to just stop and stare at it all, but he knew that this was more of an errand in the palace of the apostles than it was a tour. They were all about to make way to the grand cathedra where they were then told by the guards that the highest father himself would be waiting.

The collie, hearing this, was sick to his stomach with nervousness. He stuck behind for a little while, in mental and physical preparation.

"Remember, Cameron, he is a person, after all," the maned King then said. "Don't tell Iago that I said that, but he is."

"I know, I— I just don't know what would happen," the young dog then whined. "I shouldn't even be here! Felix, I'm a lowly collie, a peasant-breed! Oh, I shouldn't have ever—"

"You stop with that. So noble of a man as you shouldn't say such degrading things. Is Iago putting all that in your head?" Felix worriedly asked.

"It is his right word," Cameron shivered.

It was in quite the sudden manner, before Felix could even answer, that the person they'd been waiting for had now arrived. In robes of pure white, besides a faint lacing of gold, was the feline in question. He was aged, and of slender proportion, with speckled fur and mismatched eyes. A strange nominee for his role in such physical respects, but he seemed to be very fitting for the job. He wasn't even as old as some sometimes got, for one thing, but he looked wise beyond his years.

Everyone knelt, for the very head of Christendom was in their presence, except for Cameron, who was too stunned by the very sight!

"You look so nervous... Are you Cameron? Sir Cameron?" asked the Pope in a shaky meow.

"I am! How did I get here?!" the dog now knelt. then fell to his elbows, and wept sharply. "I'm no good for this place! I should be tending to the fields!"

The cat Pope shook his head, and smiled warmly. "You are a knight, Cameron. A well-deserving one, from what I've heard. You've saved your King's life. You had such charity for the poor of Valentia. You played a pivotal role in the liberation of the Mauretanians from so heinous an attempt to make it a colony, of which I shall address soon. And last week," he reminisced, "we here were treated to one of the finest settings of the mass that has ever graced our mortal ears, and I was ever delighted to know that it was written by none other than you," he nodded as he said. "Who is telling you all of this stuff of breeds and roles, now? I overheard it being mentioned earlier," the holy cat then went on to ask.

"The Valentian Cardinal, Iago," Felix answered the question.

"That Cardinal..." the Pope seemed to visualize the bird he often wrote to, and even more often disagreed with. "I'll tell him myself, that this idea of having roles and places for certain breeds and races is plain wrong, if you don't. Such worldly things," he declared. "We are all made in His image, and our spirits are based on themselves. Not the structure or color of your mortal body," the Pope smiled warmly as he detailed. "And if he so further promotes any unruly ideals, that or any other, do tell me."

"Thank You, your truly Highest Holiness," the collie quivered, still covering his face in embarrassment and humility.

"Your words heal us all, Father," the King deeply remarked, also humbled by the other feline's presence.

"When I was made Pope, even," the cat then turned, and recounted, "I was told I was unfit for what I was. But this is the thing: With enough devotion and dedication, you can achieve whatever it may be. I think you, Cameron, have already proven what you can do, and I know in my heart that you will continue to," he smiled, then looked at the sun outside. "Now, it's later than I thought. Take leave, for your own sakes," he smiled as he addressed the crowd. "His Highness and I's matters would bore you all to death."

With an understood nod, the knights, including the collie, all got up and left, the guards showing them the way out.