Part IV, Chapter 8: Late-Night Promises

Cameron was still panting, red in the face as he ruffled up to Felix's side. "Oh God," he softly exclaimed.

"Mmhf..." the lion grunted, exhaustedly holding his own hand over his face, as he, too, rested.

"I can't believe it," the collie stammered.

"Shh... I'm here, Cameron," Felix deeply and comfortingly purred. "I'm right here," he then repeated, then turned to his side. He wrapped his arms around the collie's smaller frame, pulling him close.

"Don't let me go," Cameron suddenly yelped, his voice twinged with fear. "Please..."

"Of course not. I'm right here, Cameron," Felix now asked.

"You're just going to treat me like a little pet for now, and leave me after this vacation," the collie yelped his current lingering fear, even though he had his own doubts about it. "And all of it will be for nothing."

"—I'd never!" the king now gasped, snapping out of his daze of lust and raising his body back to alertness, taking his seat besides the splayed canine. "Why? Why would you think I would say what I've said and then do such a thing?" he now inquired.

"I'm sorry for offending you..." Cameron turned as he regrettably whined, a few tears running down his still blushed cheeks.

"You never do. I'm only curious," Felix assured, then asked again. "Why would you expect that of me?"

"Because it's against good nature, and—" the collie sniffled, "you have Ophelia, and—"

"No. I promise you that. This, what we have, it is something more than mere carnality. We know each other," Felix said, soft and slow. "Anything to convince you that I feel something so very strong for you, I will do it."

"I believe you, it's alright," Cameron now caught his breath. "I guess I knew it, but I just can't believe it's real, that— that you really feel like this for me."

"Look at me, Cameron," Felix then said. Cameron turned around, and the lion elaborated: "I would die for you. I know that sounds like something out of one of those chivalric heartthrob romances you like, but I mean it, because you literally almost died for me. I would trade my throne and my world. You have bought such happiness to Ophelia and Marco and Lætitia, and to me. If I met my past self, the one that doubted and suspected you, the one that drove you to nearly leave, I would strike and roar all I could to get some sense into me for it. I'm begging you now like I had begged you then, to not leave me now," he choked up, "much less to reassure you that I would never make you."

At this, Cameron held Felix shoulders tighter. "I believe you."

The lion stammered a little. "Yeah. Now I really love you."

"I love you too, Felix," Cameron assured. "Truly. Now, it's late..."

"We sleep at your word, then," declared Felix, but only with lowering his tight hold on his collie bard's back and soft sides.

The dog, his spirit raised by what his new lover reassured to him, raised his legs just as much. "We sleep at your word."

"Oh, you can't trust me with that. Why, we'll be up all night," gruffed Felix, rolling his hips.

"So be it," Cameron teased as he was pinned.

A sharp exhale came from Felix's broad nose, bewildered at how ribald the other man could be. To make it mutual, lurched in and huffed onto his lover's face, repeating: "So be it."