Chapter One

You had always been so close to Dazai. He was a good friend to you. Never in your wildest dreams did you think you'd have your gun pointed at his head, finger on the trigger.

* A FEW HOURS EARLIER *

"Yo, Chuuya."

You looked over to your ginger friend, rocking back on your chair. Your black boots rested on the oak table. Chuuya looked over to you, annoyed.

"What? I'm busy."

You smirked. He'd always been a little sassy. Still, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be the same man you knew and loved.

"Chill. I just wanted to know if Dazai had come back yet."

"How should I know? I'm just tryna have a drink."

You shook your head and sighed. You didn't feel like getting up at all. You tilted your beanie lower down your head, closing your eyes in a moment of peace. Since you weren't being asked to go on a mission anytime soon, you might as well take some downtime. Perhaps a little nap... The creak of the bar door made you jolt out of your peacefulness - perhaps it was Dazai? You were surprised to see a member of the Port Mafia, Maki Nanase. She was a good distraction from your bored state.

"Oh, hey Maki. Watcha doing?"

Yet her face was stern and serious. To be fair, she always did look formal, but this time... Something just seemed off. A dark shadow overhung her face.

"The master requests your presence immidiately. Both of you."

You glanced at Chuuya, who seemed pissed, but knew he couldn't disobey the boss. He tilted his hat up, before downing the rest of his drink. You swung round on the chair, before quickly moving into the limo. You rested your head against the window - what was going on?

" Chuuya - do you think it's about Dazai?"

He didn't reply. Soon, you and Chuuya were at the headquarters. There, you noticed your boss but also, suprisingly, Akutagawa. He already seemed so grown up... The choice of crowd made you uneasy. All three of you were close to Dazai - all you'd need is Odasaku, and you'd have all of his closest friends.

Baka - what have you done this time?!

"I'm sorry to rush you all from your previous locations, but there is a very pressing matter at hand. It's very time-sensitive. Dazai has abandoned the Port Mafia."

You took a sharp intake of breathe. You heard Chuuya mutter 'bastard' next to you - Akutagawa just looked stunned. Dazai was the kid's idle, what would this do to him?

"Since you three are the closest to him, you will know his way of thinking best. Therefore, you will be in charge of his immediate execution." He smiled cruelly. "All of you know that leaving us is not an option. Happy hunting."

You gritted your teeth, as the three of you were ushered out. This was all happening so suddenly. Yeah, he had been talking about leaving before... You'd never taken him seriously. The guy constantly talks about suicide, how were you supposed to take quitting the Mafia seriously? Still, as a member of the Mafia, you had a job to do...

"(Y/N)."

You turned to Chuuya, somehow feeling told off. But Chuuya's voice had a deeper, darker tone to it.

"Don't let him talk. Just shoot. He knew what he was getting in to."

You nodded, trying to look tough, but your eyes were always a dead give away. Sorrow filled them. Chuuya noticed, and gave you a quick, out-of-character hug. Then again, the situation had never been this serious before. He whispered in your ear.

"I don't need to lose two friends today."

The two of you then seperated, going separate ways. Rain was now falling, slightly obscuring your vision. You thought like a hunter. The Mafia had eyes on the streets. He couldn't have gone that way. Any fields would be far too exposed. Which left only the alley ways.

"Special Ability - Cards of Fate!"

You quickly threw down a playing card, which allowed you to jump to the rooftops. You quickly raced across them, reaching a darkened alleyway. This was the only passage Dazai could have taken. You threw down a second card, enhancing your vision. Two now floated around you. Finally, you reached a turning - and there he was. A final card was used, and you raced forward, before jumping down, pulling out your gun and aiming it.

You had always been so close to Dazai. He was a good friend to you. Never in your wildest dreams did you think you'd have your gun pointed at his head, finger on the trigger. But you just couldn't press down - and by the look he gave you, he knew it.

Don't let him talk.

You had to act fast. He could disarm you at any second.

Just shoot.

Why did it have to come to this? Why had he been so selfish?! He was an idiot! What could have been so good that he abandoned you all?!

"Dazai, why? What could have possibly-"

"Odasaku."

Your heart skipped a beat. Your hand shook, holding the gun. Sweat slowly started to form. You had noticed that Odasaku was missing earlier...

"(Y/N), he died. His dying wishes were against the Port Mafia's violence. As he died in my arms... I can't keep living the way I am now after that. "

Both your and Dazai's eyes watered. You looked down, lowering the gun. How could you kill him for that? You stifled a sob with your hand, before inhaling and placing the gun away.

"Dazai j-just go. Chuuya was right. I sh-should have never let you talk."

Dazai put a hand on your shoulder in a comforting gesture, but you quickly shook it off and yelled at him to go. You should have just shot him. You watched him go, attempting to regulate your breathing pattern.

"(Y/N)?"

It was all too much. You turned around, eyes streaming - and fainted. Chuuya's voice echoed in your head as the world faded into darkness.

"Damn idiot - I told you not to let him talk."