Chapter 15 - I will fight for my best friend (A)

The two weeks I stayed away from Jason made me feel horrible; I felt lost and hollow. I was dying inside, something that I felt four years back. But now that Jason’s back in my life everything seemed normal and I feel complete yet again. Although I am scared about Cheryl, I will not let her walk over my life just as promised to Jason. I am going to fight for my best friend, the only good thing that’s happened to me in the last couple of years and no matter what happens I am not going to leave him like I did earlier.

So that Sunday when he came to our house, I didn’t ask him to leave me alone, didn’t ask him to stop talking to me or didn’t ask him to forget me as his friend. What I did, is ditched work and hung out with him all day in my room. He brought his laptop and we spent the whole day watching movies on my bed. We picked films alternatively and he being a fan of horror films made me watch ‘The Conjuring’ but for more than three-fourths of the film my eyes were closed and I was silently praying in my head. By the time the film ended, my finger nails were digging into his clothes and I was almost cuddling with him in our sitting positions.

Once he realized that I am terrified of those kinds of films he promised he’ll never choose another horror film whenever he’s with me. Overwhelmed by what he said, I pinched both of his cheeks and told it was so sweet of him to think about me but he blackmailed me saying if I ever pinched him again he would make me watch horror films for a whole day. I stayed calm after that, obviously.

So that day we saw The Departed and The Expendables 2 along with Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. I don’t remember the last time I had so much fun watching movies; maybe I enjoyed it very much because of his presence beside me.

Today is one of the best days of my life. I had Jason completely to myself for a whole day and not just that he seemed different; in a good way of course. I felt him staring at me sometimes but didn’t bother to check not wanting to be disappointed. But there’s definitely a difference, especially the way he looked at me like he’s trying to convey a million things through his eyes which bore passion and desire. Does he like me? Is that why he’s looking at me like that, in an affectionate and loving way, or is it just my head giving me stupid ideas? Uggghhh…

The whole day Emily didn’t come to our room; not even once. I think she wanted us to bond again as friends since she feels guilty and responsible for everything happened that night or maybe she just had other things in her mind.

The next day when I went to school everything felt right though it was a bit awkward sitting at the lunch table again. Elle was very happy when she saw me, so was Gabe. However there was one person who looked downright irritated when Elle, Em, Jason, Kyle and Gabe were cheerily talking to me. Though Cheryl was silent I didn’t miss the deathly glares she’s sending my way. I know the only way to be with Jason is to befriend her, I hope she’s a nice person underneath her bitchy attitude; the only possible reason for her to hate me is my closeness to her boyfriend.

So, I have decided to talk to her and make her understand that I’m not a threat to her in any way and Jason’s just my friend. I know it’s going to be hard trying to convince her but Jason’s worth the risk, he is worth everything. So that day after Cheryl left, I excused myself from the table and followed her wanting to have personal discussion in an isolated place. I saw her walking upstairs when her close friend Megan who’s always seen with her walked into the girls’ toilet.

I was surprised to see her in the third floor unlocking a door with keys that she took out from her purse. I didn’t understand what was happening. As long as I remember we don’t have any classes in this floor and this room had a sign board saying ‘Stationary’. After successfully opening the room, she looked around as if to make sure if anyone’s around while I quickly hid behind a wall. After hearing the door locked, I came out and walked to the room confused on what I am supposed to do. What the hell is she doing here and why is she having the keys of a school room? While I was having a mental debate with myself I heard footsteps and so quickly hid behind a wall that has a clear view of the room.