Chapter Fifteen

Kelly let out a low whistle as Amber walked out of the bathroom dressed for the wedding.

She laughed, doing a twirl so he could fully appreciate the outfit. The pale blue dress clung to her body in all the right places, the back dipping down to halfway down her back. His fingers cane to trail over the exposed skin for a moment. "You look gorgeous." He grinned. He was a lucky man, there was no denying that.

"You don't scrub up too bad yourself." She smiled, straightening his tie a fraction. There was no denying that he looked good in a suit.

He lifted his hand a fraction as if to cup her face and she quickly swatted him away. "This took hours Kelly. No touching!"

He held his hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay." He laughed. "But that rule doesn't apply once the wedding is over, right?" He asked, his voice low in her ear and his fingertips skating over the exposed skin on her back in a way that sent a shiver down her spine.

"Kelly." She warned. "Don't start something you can't finish."

His lips nipped at her neck. "Who says I can't finish it?" He murmured.

She tried to muster some willpower to stop him, knowing full well where this was going if she didn't put a stop to it soon. "My Mom." She sighed, glancing at her watch. "We were supposed to leave five minutes ago."

He lingered for a moment, then lifted his head and put his hands back on her hips. "I'll behave myself." He smirked, seeing the blush on her cheeks. "For now anyway..."

She laughed, rolling her eyes at him before grabbing him by the hand and dragging him out of the bedroom before he could try to protest.

****

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, coming up behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist as he rested his chin on her shoulder. She'd been quiet all afternoon, a distant expression on her face as she'd watched the ceremony. That same expression had crept back in now as she watched the bride and groom dancing.

She leaned back against him, her hands coming to rest over the top of his. "Just thinking about things." She answered non-commital, not sure she wanted to tell him what was actually going on in her head. 

"And those things are?" He pushed.

"She looks so happy," Amber mumbled, looking back over at her sister. 

"They both do," Kelly agreed. He didn't know Amber's sister Lucy or her new husband Chris particularly well, but he could see from watching them over the last couple of days that they really loved each other.

"I wonder if Jack and I looked that happy." She whispered, talking to herself more than him. "I felt that happy, it felt like we were going to be together forever."

He didn't know what he was supposed to say to that, so instead, he stayed quiet and waited to see if she was going to offer anything else. They still hadn't really talked about Jack, he wasn't sure if she was avoiding talking about him because it would upset her, or because she thought it was going to upset him. Either way, apart from the brief conversation on the beach the night before, he had hardly been mentioned since he'd left Chicago.

He didn't realise she was crying until she drew in a shaky breath and wiped her eyes. "Why don't we go outside and get some air?" He suggested, taking her by the hand and leading her towards the exit.

It was much quieter outside, the majority of the guests were still inside finishing up the food and watching the dancefloor. There were a couple of people outside chatting at the other end of the terrace, but other than that they had it to themselves.