16| sick

"HEY, WHERE'S PARKER? We have to leave in like ten minutes." I say to Winn, quickly grabbing my toast out of the toaster.

"Uh, I'm not sure. I haven't seen him this morning." He replies, handing me the Nutella cause he knows that's what I was going for.

"I'll go check his room."

I jog to his room and knock on the door a few times. Nothing. Silently praying he isn't getting changed, I open his door.

I find him flopped on his stomach on his bed, sound asleep. I sigh and walk over to him.

"Parker, we leave for school in ten minutes. Why aren't you awake?" I gently shake him, but he keeps on snoring.

I poke his cheek, and to my surprise it's hot. Really hot. I move my hand up and press my palm to his forehead, which is also ridiculously warm.

"Parker, wake up." I shake him again, and his eyes flutter open this time.

"Maddie, stop, my head hurts." He moans, rolling on his stomach and burying his face in his pillow.

"Well, yeah it does, you have a fever. How do you feel?" I roll him over again and feel his forehead and cheeks.

"Your hands are so cold, go away." He waves me off, but I push his hands away.

"How does your throat feel?" I ask, fretting over him in the way I know he hates, but I can't help it.

"Like hell, now can you leave?" He snaps, and that's when I notice how scratchy his voice sounds.

"Okay, I'll be right back-"

"Please don't."

I sigh and try to brush his comment off, continuing.

"As I was saying, I'll be right back. I'm gonna check your temperature, I think you have a cold." I say, tucking his blanket up around him.

He nods and closes his eyes again, rolling on his side and shivering a little.

I walk out of his bedroom and into the kitchen again, heading straight for the cabinet that holds all the medicine. I grab out the thermometer, some cold medicine, then I fill up a glass with water and grab the toast I was going to eat. I'll just make more.

"Is he sick?" Winn asks, seeing the supplies in my hands.

"Yeah, I think so." I nod, walking back into Parker's room.

He's sleeping again, his mouth hanging wide open.

I set the glass, plate, and medicine down, and since the thermometer is digital, I just press it to his forehead.

This must wake him up cause he groans and tries to take it off, pushing my hands away.

"Parker Jay, sit still." I murmur, trying again. His temperature comes out to be one hundred degrees, which makes me furrow my brows and sigh.

"Okay, eat a piece of toast then take the medicine. I'll get a ride with Sam today, you need to sleep."

He nods and sits up, grabbing the toast and eating some, pouting the entire time. I press a quick kiss to his forehead and remind him to take the pills and drink the entire glass of water after he finishes the toast.

I jog out to the living room and grab my backpack and phone, heading to the door. I pass Winn on the way and quickly say goodbye.

"I'm gonna get a ride with Sam, I'll tell one of Park's teammates to tell their coach he's sick. Can you please make sure he takes the medicine? And give him a vitamin c drink, he needs it." I say, quickly kissing his cheek and throwing my bag over my shoulder.