Chapter 21: Sickness

The next day I stood over a map in the office. Octavia along the right side of me and Indra on my left. I looked to Octavia.

"We know that there are three entry points to the valley. While Cooper, Madi, and I soften the battlefield...Miller will lead the first battalion through the southern tributary."

"The first?" Miller asked confused.

"Do you have a problem with that?" She asked him glancing at Indra.

"No but the first battalion is Indra's."

"Not anymore." I looked to Indra.

"Then she is my second in commander for the second wave. She goes with me and stays with me." Octavia's head snaps to me.

"Its fine Nathan. You're prepared." I told him. I heard Octavia sigh....probably upset that I was undermining her in front of her most loyal people. But they were my people too.

"Alright. Madi, come stand by me." I looked from Octavia to Madi. She shouldn't be her second.

"Cooper, the floor is yours." I said motioning to the map.

"Worms are thermoreceptors. That means they sense body heat. With Madi's knowledge of the woods we'll get as close to the village as we can and release them here, here, and here." She pointed to the church last and I looked at Octavia. My father was still there.

"O." She shook her head and I huffed leaving the room with the eight guards behind me. I shouldn't have left.

"Sera." Suddenly the guards that were behind me now stood in his way guns drawn.

"Step away from Queen Heda." I heard Ivan order.

"I just want to talk to you." I didn't move or speak.

"Its about Eli." My resolve broke.
"What about my son?" I asked sharply.

"He's in danger." I stepped closer to him so I could see his eyes. He wasn't lying to me. I turned to Ivan scared and that was all he needed.

"You four go locate the prince! Get him to the office with the Bloodreina." He yelled to the others and then turned back to me.

"My queen if he is right then you must come with us right now." I nodded but looked at Bellamy.

"How is he in danger?"

"The worms there is a possibility of them getting out...Clarke and I made a plan-"

"You made a plan that could potentially hurt Eli?" I spat out the question like it was poison.

"I'm sorry."

"So am I." I said marching to the office. He just signed his death warrant and Octavia will throw them both in the arena.

I sat there eating rations as we passed it around and discussed the upcoming war. Apparently Clarke was the only one captured and O let Bellamy walk free. Eli sat next to me.

"Sorry bloodreina." I looked up to the interruption of the door being opened. A guard stood there gun pointed at Bellamy.

"Let him in. Sister why don't you go visit Gaia with Eli. I have a feeling you should talk to her about madi's training." I nodded and grabbed Eli's hand being careful not to touch Bellamy as we passed him.

"Bye dad." I froze in my tracks and looked down at Eli then at Bellamy. He was staring at him. I shook my head and picked Eli up putting him on my hip. He almost killed my baby.

Making my way without guards to Gaia's chambers I knocked on the door.

"Gaia." I called as I opened the door slowly.
"What is it?" I turned to Ivan and the guards.

"Stay outside the door we won't be long." They nodded and closed the door behind them.

"I wanted to ask you what are your intentions with madi?"

"She is a nightblood my queen. You would make the better commander if I would put the flame in anyone it would be you but only if you were willing."

"Should someone try to put the flame in madi....I would be upset Gaia. She is still a child." She nodded in understanding.

"And so is my son." She looked at Eli.

"Mother I would if I had to." I shook my head and kneeled.

"Little warrior that's just it. You should never need to. I'm the one who protects you. As long as I am alive you will never have to become the commander." I looked to Gaia and she nodded.

"I promise." I smiled at her.
"Good." I sat down on a nearby chair.

"Now..I'd like to discuss my son's training. I have a feeling he will need to be taught more etiquette and I would like to start his lessons in diplomacy." She nodded and looked to Eli.

"When would you like to start your highness?" He smiled at her.

"Right now?" He questioned us both. I nodded my approval and left the room alone. I opened the door and spoke to four of my guards that weren't Ivan, Devan, or the twins.

"The prince will be here for training until he feels otherwise. When he is done please bring him to me."

"Queen Heda!" I turned to Nathan Miller running down the hall towards me.

"Its Octavia she is sick and unconscious." I took off running to the office where I last left her only to see our guards lifting her up and carrying her somewhere. Bellamy stood off to the side by Indra.

"What happened!" I shouted. Everyone who wasn't moving O looked at me.

"My queen." I saw one of the guards murmur and kneel. The others followed including Indra. This continued until Bellamy was the last one standing. Ignoring it I looked to the first man who kneeled.

"What happened here?"

"It was something in her ration. She said she couldn't breath and then just collapsed. Your in command now. What do we do?" I gave Indra a curious look.

"About what?" She sighed as the men rose once again after I motioned it with my hand.

"The war. We were supposed to leave at dawn. Now that Octavia is unable to lead us...." I realized then what had happened. How could Bellamy make his sister intentionally sick?

"The bloodreina would want us to continue on." Miller said from the side of the room.

I thought about it if we surrendered and all went to the village without fighting then Eli would be safe. But Octavia and the others had doubts about whether I could lead them into war.

"We wait until dawn if she does not wake up...issue a surrender. If that does not work then we go to war." I told Miller he looked upset about it but nodded.

"Take those rations and have them tested." I ordered one of the men.

With that I walked out ignoring the shouts of Bellamy as I made my way to Octavia's room.