Abigail Withers

"It's time to wake up, Abby." An old scratchy voice whispered in my ear. When my eyes opened, I was in a dimly lit room, dust particles were floating around and the faint smell of burning flesh invaded my nose.

"Who's Abby?"

The old lady dressed in all black sighed agitated at my question. I don't understand. The last thing I remember was fainting in my apartment.

"Abigail, you do this every time you wake up! Now stop it! You have chores to do."

She flipped a key card between her fingers, staring at me in anticipation. What looked like a buff orderly standing in the doorway. This room looked so dingy, I don't understand.

"Who are you? Why am I here?"

"You've been here since 1962 after the Mayberry orphanage burnt down."

"What? That's not possible, it's 2020."

She stared at me with tired gray eyes. It was as if she played this game often.

"Abigail, I don't have time for your foolish games."

Have you figured it out yet?

Steve?

Who are you?

Stella...

No, that is Stella.

My eyes drifted back to the old lady, her hands resting on her oversized hips.

What's going on?

You've been in a coma for a week. Every time you wake up, you forget who you are.

"Hush now, Steve." The lady hissed at a girl with tight ringlets sitting on the worn mattress beside mine. Her eyes were black like ebony, but her hair was much like a burning fire. Steve is a person?

Wait, was she talking in my head?

How?

We are not as we seem at Brindleshiar.

"Enough Steve!" Ms. Stella growled, gesturing for the orderly to handle the girl. Steve shrieked with joy as the muscular man made his way towards her.

He wrapped his arms around her small waist, carrying her kicking and screaming down the hall.

What the hell?

"Language Abigail."

What?

"You can hear my thoughts?"

She smiled a most terrifying smile.

"I see everything, I hear everything... your little gift is going to get you in trouble. Especially if you keep allowing Steve to take over."

"Take over?"

"You skip dimensions."

My head began throbbing. None of this makes sense. My skin felt like it was burning, everything started to blur once more and darkness.

"Giles!!" I heard Ms. Stella scream in the darkness. In reality of it all, my eyes were closed. Loud pounding of boots against the linoleum sounded.

"Yes?"

"Get the shock paddle."

"Yes ma'am"

Shock paddle? What does she need that for?

What's going on? What did she mean skip dimensions? Who is Abigail?

Laughter filled the room, bright lights flickered all around. The faint sound of music could be heard.