Thirteen

Aaliyah's P.O.V

Since coming back this afternoon I had barely spoken to Hope. After our discussion at dinner I didn't have much to say. I was indecisive about what I wanted because of other circumstances that I needed to account for.

I knew I liked Hope, that was evident. I knew that she made me feel differently to how I've felt before when seeing people or being with Bradley. She was shy and reserved and usually someone I wouldn't find myself being attracted to but there was just something about her that was pulling me in and I couldn't control it. It was like a magnetic pull and it was even stronger when I kissed her.

Although Bradley and I strung our relationship on for many years past our expiration date, there was still something somewhere inside of me that had a soft spot for him even after everything he did. Maybe it was the resurfacing of our teenage days where things were decent compared to how they were after our brief breakup. I had to consider the media as a high profile and boss of the company because my decisions and actions could increase or decrease the company's reputation greatly.

It wasn't the fact that Hope was my assistant. That didn't bother me, but it could bother people outside or even within the company. I wasn't guarded or ashamed of my sexuality and I know I have the power to fire anyone who misconducts against shaming anyone's identity but I know there's one person in particular who is harder to fire than most, and I didn't want him hurting Hope.

"Aaliyah," Vanessa's voice took me out of my deep trance, making me flick my eyes up from the desk to her eyes.

"Sorry what?" I questioned, clearing my throat as I adjusted my position in my chair.

"I was discussing your schedule with you, well I was trying to," she sighed, changing the position of her crossed legs.

"What were you saying?" I asked, flickering my eyes to Hope's empty desk, feeling a heavy sensation overcome my chest.

"I was saying that tomorrow you have a meeting with Benson about Bradley's statement, and also concerning his position within the company." I leaned back in my chair, resting my chin on my hand.

"As much as I dislike Bradley I don't think it would be smart to end his career here,"

"Why not?" Vanessa questioned.

"We both know his parents are powerful and will do anything to make someone lose everything," I sighed, "Bradley may do fuck all in this company but when he does it is a large investment,"

"Like him sleeping with your old assistant?" Vanessa raised her eyebrow at me.

"Mm," I replied, "did he say much to you about the recent trip?"

"No he doesn't speak to me after the incident in your office,"

"The time you kicked his ass and didn't tell me you could?" I questioned, causing Vanessa to laugh.

"Precisely, but I strictly keep the conversations to a minimal and through email." I nodded.

"Aaliyah What is going on with you?" Vanessa sighed, shaking her head, "ever since you got back from Rome today you have been so, weird," she paused to think of the right word.

"Jet lag," I shrugged, standing up from my chair, making my way over to the glass to overlook the city.

"We both know it's not jet lag, in the many years I've known you, you have never gotten jet lag, or at least barely," I heard Vanessa's heels click against the floor as she stood by my side observing the city, "it's about Hope isn't it," she spoke matter of factly. I sighed, keeping my eyes on the city.