Prologue

It was Sunday morning. Everything was messed up. My mom was taking out the stuffs one by one from the travelling bags and Dad was also busy cleaning the dust from the windows.

We went out of town for 2 months. Now finally we are back home after spending our holidays.

Whenever you come back home after a long time, it seems as if you have shifted here just a few days back. You will find everything scattered here and there.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am Janet Milton. Daughter of Amanda and Stephen Milton. My mother is a nurse and my father is a neurosurgeon.
I am a university student completing my masters from Paradise University.

People call me weird sometimes. I don't know why. Maybe, I am not a social butterfly like others.

Yeah, I am an introvert. I don't keep a bunch of crap, that's why I don't have many friends, but there are some people who are very close to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It was 11 o'clock in the night. I was standing in front of the mirror looking at myself. I looked tired and exhausted.

Seeing it, my eyes got stuck on the mark on my neck. It was a small triangular shaped mark that looked like a tattoo but it wasn't a tattoo. It was my birthmark.

Whenever I touch this mark, fire starts running in my veins, I feel strong and sometimes even weird. I don't know why this happens.

I asked my parents about this mark a million times but they each time gave the same answer "You are special."

--------------------------------------------------------------

I still remember that day....

I was 13 years old, playing badminton with my best friend Alice. It was a hot sunny day. We were bathed in sweat but still enjoying it.

I suddenly felt dizzy and fell on the badminton court. Darkness was pouring in before my eyes. I could neither see nor hear anything.

After a while I found myself in the medical room of my school and Alice was sitting next to me.

She was terrified and told that my birthmark was glowing like fire when I was unconscious.

When I asked her if anyone else had seen it, she told that no one except her saw it because it only flashed for a few seconds and then stopped.

I held her hand and said "Ali... please don't... don't tell anyone about this. Not even my parents, not anyone please."

"Don't worry Jany, you're my best friend and I promise to take this thing to my grave if you tell me." She said.

"Oh Ali..." I said and gave her a tight hug.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The clock was ticking. It was 12:45 a.m. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even realise that it was too late.

I finally laid in my bed and was still thinking. Why did it glow? No one knows neither me nor Alice. But I am sure it's not just a birthmark. Then what it is?

Is it the reason, I am different?