Chapter 8: Apology

With one hand outstretched and a finger pointing at someone else while my other hand clenched tightly, barely showing how nervous I was, it felt like all the time in the world had froze along with me.

Now that I said it out loud, it might be a tad rude. Even though he's a knight, he is the duke's knight. Apologizing to a commoner, and a child at that can be taken as an insult. But it's too late to take my words back. I let my hand down and carefully examined the duke's expression.

Instead of glaring or showing any offence, he seemed lost in thought. I turned to look at Alfred who was surprised at the request and is awaiting the duke's answer. After a moment, the duke whispers into Alfred's ear. His eyes widened and slightly turned pale.

"My lord, that......" Alfred was speechless but he quickly gathered his composure, faked a few coughs and turned to me.

"I am afraid Sir Elliot is unable to apologize to you, miss, as he was merely following my lord's orders. In exchange......the lord will apologize to you personally." Even when he said that, his voice showed much resistance to the idea.

Wha-

"My lord! I object!" The knight, Elliot who stood there like a statue ever since they came in suddenly burst out his objections. "Please allow me to apologize! Someone like you should not bow your head so easily!"

I agree! Please let the man apologize. You know what? Screw the apology and just give me the damn potion. I can feel Elliot's killer eyes on me now!!

"Silence, Elliot. It is my responsibility." The duke had no intention of backing down.

He crouched down, planting one knee on the ground so that his eyes meet mine on the same level but he was still too tall. I have nowhere to run. If I run away now, it might seemed I've played them like a fool and rejected their apology.

"Miss Astria, I apologize on behalf of my subordinate who has caused much trouble to you. Please forgive him." The duke was sincere with his words.

Is it me or the temperature in the room is getting colder by the second? Please tell me this is some other worldly joke because I can't understand it.

I have to think of something to say. If not, Elliot might lunge at me any moment now for making his lord apologize. What would a 5-year-old say to turn things around? Then, I thought a brilliant (not really) idea!

I took a deep breath, look straight ahead and said, "I am sorry too."

The three grown man were clearly taken aback by my statement, especially Elliot. The duke calmly asked, "And what are you apologizing for?"

"I did not greet the duke nicely. Sister Jeanne says I was not nice to the duke. I am sorry." I wrack my brain to make some sort of excuse as an apology, hoping this nonsense works. I stood up straight and said, "Today, I will greet Mr. Duke properly."

Basic manners and etiquette were taught by the sisters. I did my best to straightened my posture and lift my skirt very lightly, bowed and gathered the best smile I could manage, "My name is Astria. May Her Light shine upon and protect you."

After that, I waited for a response. I thought if I found something to apologize it would seem like I wasn't appearing too entitled. Saving face for the duke is a way to escape this.

Everything was so still I was starting to think time had frozen again. The more I wait, the more insecure I feel. Finally, I heard the duke chuckled.

"Hmm, what an odd child." He stood up and patted my head lightly. "I accept your apology."

The duke then left with the Father to the guestroom with Elliot following closely behind. I caught a glimpse of Elliot but I couldn't read his expression. Alfred smiled and bowed at me and soon followed them too. The other kids were free to follow or to go play elsewhere.

I was still frozen in place until everyone left.

That was a close call......

I can feel all the tenseness leaving my body Finally, my legs gave in and I crouched and curled myself into a ball on the ground.

I could still feel the warmth of his hand through those gloves on my head......