Chapter 26: Safe

When I woke up, I was in a soft and wide bed, in an unfamiliar room. Sunlight poured into the room and I had to adjust my eyes. It felt good seeing natural light after being trapped in the darkness for so long.

It seems I had a long sleep because my whole body felt stiff. I tried to stretch my arms and legs before moving and I realized I wasn't alone in the room.

"You're finally awake?" Cassius was sitting right beside the bed with Elliot and Alfred behind him as usual. Father Reuben was also standing there.

I quickly tried to sit up but I couldn't muster much strength. Cassius pushed my head back onto the pillow and said, "Don't get up. You need rest."

"Noel......" I whispered.

Where is Noel? Is he safe? Where is he now?

I have so many questions but all I could say was his name.

"We'll talk when you recover." Cassius answered my unspoken questions and he stepped aside, revealing a woman behind him. It was a female doctor and she started to examine me as the men excused themselves from the room.

After she gave me some medication, I quickly became drowsy and fell asleep again.

***

I felt much more energized when I woke up again. At the very least, I could sit up without needing any help. I realize Sister Margeret had fallen asleep beside and I tried my best to be as silent as possible. However, she was sleeping lightly and quickly woke up to the sound of the bed creaking. When she saw me awaken, tears started to form in her eyes as she hugged me tightly.

"Oh, thank goodness! I was so worried, Ria!" It was difficult to breathe but I didn't push her away.

After that, she quickly called upon the others. Soon, the room was filled with the people from the orphanage. It felt embarrassing being the center of attention but I was relieved that I'm back to them safely.

Sigh, talking about a peaceful life......yeah, right. What a load of crap. This universe is insane.

After Father Reuben hugged me too, Blanche walked up slowly, her eyes were red.

"Big sis Ria, Blanche is sorry.....Blanche told you to disappear but Blanche didn't mean it......" Blanche sniffed and tears started rolling down her cheeks.

"It's not Blanche's fault." I patted her head gently and smiled. I looked towards Corwin who was standing behind her also had puffy eyes.

"Ria......you're okay......" Corwin tried his best to contained his tears.

"Yes, I am." I smiled, "We can water the plants together again."

Our touching reunion was interrupted by a few knocks on the door. Everyone looked to the door simultaneously and Alfred was standing there with Cassius and the female doctor.

Everyone made way for them and after a brief checkup, the doctor pushed her glasses and reported my condition to Cassius. He nodded and Alfred saw her out.

Cassius then signalled to the father. He got the message and told everyone, "Astria needs rest now. Let's visit her later."

Everyone quickly exited the room and we were soon left alone. Alfred joined us later and Cassius finally spoke to me.

"How are you feeling?" He used my native tongue to speak to me. I felt pleasantly surprised.

"I feel okay."

"I have a few questions for you." Cassius went straight into topic. "This might be unpleasant but I wanted to hear your side of the situation. I need to know who is involved."

I nodded and I tried my best to describe everything in full detail. I told them how I tried to escape from Dr. Quinn, about his interaction with the masked person, about Noel......

When I came to Noel, I felt something stuck in my throat. I'm so worried about him.

"What's wrong?" Cassius realized I stopped talking and asked. I shook my head and continued speaking.

Alfred was writing down everything while Cassius listened intently. After I was finished, I see them whispering to each other. Then, he stepped back and Cassius turned his attention back to me.

"Thank you. That must be hard for you to talk about." He patted my head softly. "I'll leave you to rest now-"

"Is Noel safe?" I interrupted him softly before he could finish. I just really wanted to know if he was okay.

"Noel......? Oh, that boy. Yes, I suppose."

After his confirmation, I felt as if a boulder was lifted from my heart. Everything suddenly felt lighter and tears started to form in my eyes. I rubbed my eyes before the tears could fall.

"Thank you, Mr. Cassius." I thanked him with all my heart. I then asked hesitantly, "Can I see Noel?"

Cassius went silent for a moment and he finally replied, but it was not an answer that I had expected. "I have someone I need you to meet."

"Okay."

He gestured to Alfred and he quickly went out. After a short while, someone knocked the door and Cassius gave them permission to enter.

Alfred was the first to enter. Next, another person came in.

The person had long, silky, blue hair that was almost touching the floor. Their hair was so blue it reminded me of the sky when there was no clouds. They wore a robe around them and underneath was handsome waistcoat.

"Is this the girl that you were talking about, Cassie?"

He gestured to me as he stared straight into my eyes. His jade-colored eyes were too mesmerizing to look away. Cassius glared at him when he heard the nickname and he just smiled back.

Cassius stood aside to make way for the person. With his back against the light, his jade-colored eyes shone brighter as ever in the shadows as he looked at me.

I know this person.

Blue hair, jade eyes. A mysterious, master spell caster. The court magician.

"Nice to meet you, Ms. Astria. I am Solaire."