Chapter 15: New Ones

The next morning, which is also the day of the duke's 3rd visit, a familiar wine-coloured box with floral patterns appeared right beside my bed, with messy handwriting that says "Sorry. - Corwin".

I smiled and kept the note safely in the drawer. He didn't have to do that but I'm glad he knew what he did was wrong.

I quickly changed and followed the other kids to the dining hall for breakfast. It seemed like I haven't been to the dining hall for a long ime now. I had all my meals in the bedroom while I was sick. Now that I think about it, how embarrassing that I've been to the sickbay thrice already in 2 months. Me in my previous life would be sneering at present me right now.

I quickly found an empty seat and sat down quickly as I waited for everyone to gather. I looked around and spotted Blanche sitting not far from me. Our eyes met for a moment and she quickly turned away.

Is it just me, or are her eyes puffy today?

It's likely that she's reluctant about returning those gloves but Corwin was insistant. She was even ignoring Corwin now.

I'm amazed at how stubborn she could be.

***

The duke arrived just as we're about to line up. The first one to enter was Cain who greeted everyone loudly.

"Mornin'! Ah, little missy, you're good enough to be out of bed now I see." He dashed towards me and ruffled my hair.

Elliot who was standing behind gave him a good knock on the head and pulled him aside. The duke was just right behind him.

After he exchanged greetings with the Father, he didn't even wait for the kids to surround him and, as expected, approached me.

I say expected, because I had 2 experiences now. I can confidentally say I'm calm with anything the duke decided to do.

Without a word, he slipped his hand around my waist and lifted me up like I was a bag of cotton.

......Anything except this.

"How are you feeling?" The duke asked with a straight face.

The audacity of this man to ask me this after he just breached my personal space. If I could just give him a punch or two......

"Hmm?" He seemed to realized something and his beautiful brows furrowed. He turned to Cain, who has now stopped fooling around and stood straight like a pole. "Have you not found the gloves?"

"N-No, my lord......" Cain reported while averting his gaze. Even when his glare is not directed to me, I still feel a chill down my spine.

If I don't say anything right now, Cain might really die!!

"T-The gloves! I forgot to wear them! T-they are on my bed!" I realize kids suck at lying, including me.

I looked over to Cain who had a grateful expression on his face. Phew, that was a close call. But now, his attention switched to me.

"You forgot?" He raised an eyebrow. I nodded quickly, trying not to meet his eyes. He looked to the side as if he's staring at someone before looking back at me.

Did he just......glared at Blanche? He glared at a child??

He then used his other hand to hold one of mine and pressed my hand to his cheek.

Goodness, his skin is so soft and smooth! How did he get them like that? Is this the power of fictional men?!

"Your hands are cold." He let go of my hand before blowing a puff of hot air on it. I could tell I'm blushing like crazy. I nodded my head vigorously.

"Your face is red. Are you still sick?" He noticed and I shook my head. Is he doing it on purpose or does he really think he's not part of the problem?

"Excuse me, my lord, perhaps the miss is feeling embarrassed." Alfred informed him. "Girls around her age are quite shy around strangers."

Nice move, Mr. Butler! I owe you one.

"Is that so?" He finally let go of me and put me to the ground. But, he still kept my hand in his. "Alfred, bring it here."

The butler quickly walked to the front and presented me with another box, this time a plain orange box with white ribbons.

Alfred untied the ribbons and revealed a pair of white cotton gloves. The sleeve of the gloves had lilac-coloured string sewed around it to tighten the gloves. The embroidery was smaller but it looked more detailed. It even has a lavender scent to them.

I looked at the butler confusingly just at he looked back at me with a smile.

What's the meaning of this?

"Wear it." The duke commanded. I was in no place to object. 

The gloves fitted perfectly like the last one, but these were warmer and more comfortable. I could feel my fingers regaining warmth after putting them on for just a while.

"Do you like them?" The duke asked. Of course I do. I nodded. "Then, they're yours. You can do whatever you want with the previous ones."

......Is this some kind of rich joke that I'm too poor to understand? I'm not even that poor in my previous life. At least I still manage to pay off my rent on time.

"Thank you......?" I thanked Alfred, but should I really be accepting this gift? I stared at the duke, still wondering why he got me a new pair of gloves. And as if he could read my mind, he gave an answer that was expected but unexpected at the same time.

"Those old gloves were defiled so I bought you new ones."