Chapter-31

Jackson

"Seriously, whose idea was it to take care of this thing?"

"That's a human baby for God's sake, Jackson," Rosie says as I sway the 6 months old infant in my arms from side to side.

"My aunt and uncle have gone to have dinner with my parents. So they asked me to babysit little Tommy. So I am babysitting this handsome little boy." She coos as I pass the little guy to her. She holds him in one arm and feeds him with the other.

"So they trusted you, with a baby?" I ask incredulously.

"Of course! They know I'm very responsible. Moreover, babies are so cute! I would do anything it takes to spend some quality time with adorable munchkins like him." She says as she blows raspberries on the little guy's tummy, which causes him to giggle. I inwardly smile and imagine how it would be to see Rosie holding my baby in her arms.

She will be a good mother.

I unlock the door and enter to hear soft sniffles and hiccups coming from the bedroom.
Oh God, did Rosie spill her sweet tea all over the bed again? Was she unable to pick up an Oreo that she dropped on the floor because of her big belly? Is she craving new bizarre food combinations? It turns out, the most inconsequential matters deeply affect Rosie which turns her into a sobbing mess. Last night, I said that I hit my toe on one of the bed legs, and she started crying out loud, imagining the immense pain I was going through. I place the stuff I bought for Rosie on the table and head towards the room, buckling up to pacify her for yet another 'catastrophe'.

"Hey there mama," I say softly as I slide under the thick blankets, wrapping my girl in my arms.

"What happened? Are you hungry? Does your back hurt again? I can run you a bath if you want." I say as I stroke her frizzy hair, placing her head on my chest, and tucking it under my chin. She sniffles softly and looks at me with watery eyes and hands me a crumpled paper.
I take one look at the paper and know exactly what it is.

"Fuck." I mumble. I place the letter on the nightstand and pull Rosie closer to me.

"Baby, why would you read the letter now? You knew you'd break down after reading it."

"Why didn't you tell me?" She whispers.

"Tell you what, honey?" She pulls away and looks at me with a hint of disappointment.

"That it was my father who drove you away from me."

I freeze at her words. I look back at the piece of paper on the nightstand. What is in that letter?

"Why did you hide it from me?" She whispers.

"Did the letter......"

"Yes, it is said in the letter! It says that my father came up with the whole idea of driving you away from me because he thinks you're not worthy of me." She cries.

"But your mom doesn't-"

"She overheard my dad's conversation with you."  Rosie stands up and paces around the room, running her fingers through her hair.

"I can't believe my father would do this. He knew how much you meant to me! Yet he did such a cruel thing. And you didn't even think that it was a good idea to talk to me about this! How could you take such an important decision without asking me??" She screams.

"Calm down Rosie. Stop stressing over this. It was like a million years ago. Things have fallen back on track and that's what is important." She looks at me with shock and despondency.