Chapter-28

Rose

I receive sympathetic looks from people as I walk towards my locker. I grab the required books from it and lock it before making my way towards the classroom. The whole class goes quiet when they see me, every face holding just one emotion; pity. I hug the books closer to my chest and take the seat in the corner of the class whilst trying to hold my tears back in. Miley and Jessica aren't in the same class as I for biology so I  just sit in my seat and zone out for the rest of the period.

"Alright class, I'll be giving out the papers of your previous test." Mr Joseph says as he starts distributing the papers. He gives out around 10 papers before he slowly comes to me with a disappointing look.

"Rose, here's your paper." He says lowly. I gently grab my paper to see a big F on the top of it. Ironically, this does not hurt me any more than I already am. I shove the paper into my pocket and continue looking at the pen marks embedded on the bench. I keep staring at it throughout the period and get startled when the bell rings promptly. Everyone starts to pack up and leaves the class but I, take my own sweet time.

"Rose, can I talk to you for a second?" Mr Joseph asks me. I nod my head and walk towards his table with slow cautious steps.

"What is wrong with you, my child? I've never seen you perform so bad in class. It's like you're lost in your own world? In this manner, if you go on, you won't make it to the next academic year." He says. I bite the inside of my cheeks to hold my tears in.

How do I tell him that my boyfriend has left me forever, with a vague excuse of joining the military?

"He'll be on his way, dear. Are you sure you don't want me to take you to the hospital?" Stella asks me with concern.

"No no, it's alright. I'll go when Jackson is here." I say with a polite smile.

"Alright, why don't you just lie down and rest? I'll call you when he comes." She says. I nod my head and place my water bottle that I was holding on the coffee table. I close my eyes tightly and press them with my palm. I'm so exhausted these days. Thank God I wasn't near any of the kids when I fainted. I run my fingers through my hair and lie down on the couch. I rest my head on the armrest and close my eyes. I rub my belly as I try to doze off. Suddenly, the door opens in one swing and in no time, Jackson is beside me, stroking my head.

"Are you alright, Rosie? What happened? Did you hurt yourself when you fell?" He asks in one breath, panting heavily. I get up and sit straight with the support of my hands and pull Jackson to my side.

"I'm alright, baby," I say with a soft smile. Jack still looks at me with uncertainty before taking me into a bear hug.

"You scared the fuck out of me." He gasps lightly before pulling away from me.

"Is it because I tired you too much this morning? Was I too rough? Fuck! I knew that it was a bad idea." He maddeningly runs his fingers through his hair. I hold both his hands in mine and kiss his lips.

"Stop panicking, sweetheart. I'm completely fine. I was just exhausted, it's not easy to take care of a bunch of hyperactive toddlers you know?" I say softly.

"We should see the doctor." He says as he stands up and helps me up as well.

"That's not necessary, it's not that big of a deal. I should just go home and rest. I will be fine."

"This is not up for a discussion, Rosie. Please, for the sake of my sanity, let us go to the hospital." He begs. I sigh softly and nod, hooking my arms into his.

****

"You should stop working. Just stay home." Jackson mumbles as he drives away from the hospital parking lot. As I said, there was nothing wrong with me. It's just that my blood pressure was a tad bit low and exhaustion had taken over me.