.26.

Paying to be driven four blocks home felt a bit over the top, but Gray insisted on seeing me get safely into a cab.

As soon as I recognized the scent of my new roommate's lilac and honeysuckle perfume in her apartment, I realized how many lines I'd crossed for those few feverish seconds.

Rebecca had opened her home, her heart, and her couch to me. She comforted me when I was a crying mess, she built me up every chance she got, and she encouraged me to find happiness. But, I'm pretty sure that didn't extend to sucking face with the guy she wanted to have 'nasty-hot sex' with.  

I spent the night tossing and turning while trying to banish the memory of the unbridled lust soaking Gray's eyes. That kiss tugged at my thoughts and throbbed deep within my core.

I hadn't heard from Elijah since the punching incident, but then again, I didn't expect to.

The blind rage that pushed him to go after his best friend was frightening. Now, Gray was going to show up to a new job with a stitch in his face and a big black eye.

Oh, and I'd nearly crossed the line between friendship and fuck-buddies with my ex-boyfriend's BFF (and new coworker).

At five in the morning, I threw the covers aside to hop in the shower and try to wash away my shame. No matter how hard I scrubbed or how scorching the water, I still felt filthy.

The extra time added to my morning routine allowed me to blow dry my hair into a manageable style. It also took a generous amount of tinted SPF lotion and mascara to blur the shadows under my sunken eyes, and an extra dollop of cream rouge to make me look not dead.

By the time Rebecca stumbled from her room to the bathroom I'd started fixing her a piping hot pot of coffee and a toasted cinnamon bagel.

"Did I hear you showering at the butt crack of dawn?" She asked, accepting the ceramic mug I handed off to her. "And where the hell did you go yesterday? Are you doing meth?"

"Yes. Elijah's condo," I ticked the answers off on my fingers. "And, absolutely not."

"Oh no, you didn't backslide, did you?" Rebecca inhaled.

"What?"

"Did you have sex?" She spelled it out slowly. "With your ex?" 

"No!" I shook my head at the absurdity. "But things got a little out of hand while I was there."

"Oh no, what?" Rebecca abandoned her bagel to focus entirely on my juicy story.

"I confronted him about what Gray said, and he denied everything," I figured I owed her as much truth as possible. "But then, Gray showed up and Elijah went ape shit. So, I wound up driving Gray to the emergency room to get stitches. You know, typical Sunday."

"Wow," Rebecca's impeccably formed brows arched expectantly. "Is Gray going to make it to the meeting today? Not to complain, but I spent a lot of effort on today's look."

To her credit, she looked absolutely incredible. Rebecca had the body of a Grecian goddess and the billowing curls of Diana Ross, which were highlighted effortlessly by her outfit. The supple material of her sweater dress clung to her curves and hugged her pert apple bottom. Her skirt stopped just above her toned calves to show a hint of her cinnamon skin in a pair of lace-up snakeskin stiletto boots.

Her makeup, while always flawless, was understated extra with a hint of gloss. She would look amazing on Gray's arm. And unlike most of the girls he dated, Rebecca was smart enough to take him on in a fight and win.