Chapter 43: The Grinch

Saturday

"Let's go to visit the tree! We can go light-seeing and get some hot chocolate!"

That was what Jess said to wrap me into coming to look at the Princeton Christmas tree. Now standing here freezing my butt off, it is not as nearly fun as it sounded. As I thought, everyone here is coupled up and taking super cute cheesy pictures. Jamie even came along bringing Jeremy and I am crossing my fingers that means she decided who she is dating.

"You look miserable," Sebastien says and I glance up to find him looking down at me with concern.

"I am not miserable." I pause. "Just cold."

"Righht," he says raising his eyebrows.

"I just don't see the whole appeal of standing here and staring at a tree." I wave my hands toward the massively lit decoration looming over us.

"You seriously need some holiday spirit. It is about the feeling in the air, being with your friends."

I bristle at the realization. "When did I become the Grinch and you become Cindy Lou?"

He laughs his head going back as he crosses his arms to chest.

"Is this you implying I am optimistic again?" He responds his crooked grin on display.

I clear my throat a little too dazzled by his smile. "Kinda, yeah."

"Like forever Emma. You hate the holidays."

"I do not," I huff, tucking my hands into my peacoat.

"You so do, but it's cool. Welcome to the pessimistic club."

I smile. "You aren't as negative as you think."

He grins at that comment. "I think a few people went over to get some hot chocolate. You should get some, warm yourself up."

I look toward the small stand's direction and turn back to him. "Would you like any?"

"Nah, I'm good. I don't get cold that easily."

"Of course you don't," I say with an eye roll.

His blue eyes crinkle in amusement and I take that as my cue to leave. I stride over to the crowded stand and patiently wait in line. Once I put my order in, the girl in front of me turns at my voice. I catch that it's Serena and a shy laugh escapes me for not recognizing her.

"Oh hi again," I say.

"Fancy seeing you here," she states coldly.

"Um, yeah?" I respond confused. I am not quite getting if that was a joke or if she is just weird. I grab my hot chocolate from the cashier saying my thanks.

"You know, you're like really pretty," she retorts giving me a once over. I hesitate, because the way she says it, it almost sounds like an insult.

"Oh, um thank you," I murmur embarrassed. She keeps staring at me to the point of creepy and I realize yep she is definitely being weird. I give a little awkward nod to her and swivel around to walk back to the group. She seemed normal back at bowling I don't know why she is acting so strange tonight.

"I see that way you look at him," she calls out to my back.

I freeze before slowly turning around to look at her in the face. I grasp my drink fiercely to prevent it from spilling.

"Wha-what do you mean look at him?"

"I just saw you minutes ago and the other night at bowling. You're like obviously interested in Sebastien," she declares pointedly. "I heard rumors he has never been in a serious relationship. I think I now know why."

My mouth slacks. "Excuse me?" I say appalled.

"You know exactly what I am saying," she accuses me.

I clear my throat. Why is she being so rude? "No, I don't," I say confused.

"What I think is that you find a way to break him up with all his girlfriends. But that will not happen with me, understood?"

I blink at her a few times and then register she is being serious. My ire spikes. My hands tremble in nerves, but I make sure my voice doesn't stutter and take a small step closer.

"I don't know you so I don't owe you any explanations, but Sebastien and I are friends. I would never purposely mess with his relationships. I really don't appreciate you making assumptions about me and ask you never to repeat that again," I say and I think I manage to hold my ground. She stares at me for another moment.

"Hmph, whatever," she flips her red hair over her shoulders that fall in perfect curls. "He came with me so clearly he considers you the friend. Remember that," she spits out.

I grind my teeth, but I take a deep breath. 'It's not worth it', 'It's not worth it', I chant in my head. I force a smile on my face.

"Of course Serita," I say sweetly.

"It's Serena," she snaps, her lip curling. She somehow still manages to look pretty even with her angry snarl. Super annoying.

"Right, my bad," I answer back and spin on my heel back to the group. That was petty of me, but I couldn't resist.

I return to sipping my cup of chocolate as an attempt to settle some of the nerves still leftover. I find my way to Jamie who makes me feel a little better as she snaps a selfie of me, her, and Jeremy in front of the tree with a reindeer filter.

I take a quick look over to Sebastien and glimpse him and Serena chatting casually. Most of Sebastien's girlfriends never gave me much of a problem. High school was probably the worst batch I met, but otherwise, a lot of girls were normally nice or at least pretended to be nice to me.

"Isn't this fun?" Jess strolls over wrapped up in a green scarf and knee-high boots. I try to smile, but in all honestly, Serena was just the cherry on top of tonight and I am over it.

"You know, I actually think I'm going to call it a night. I don't like to drive once it gets late."

"Aww, okay. I'll see you tomorrow for dinner."

I hug her and Jamie goodbye and hurry back to my car. I drove here from work and need to get my car back home since I can't park on campus. I hook up my gps on my phone and start taking all the backroads to avoid any traffic. I dial up my music to drown my thoughts. I am humming to The Neighbourhood when all of the sudden, my car sputters. There is a repetitive thumping noise like I hit something as if my car is limping. I put my hazards on and pull over. My breath goes ragged in nervousness and I step out with my phone flashlight in hand. I bend down to look underneath my car and into the road to see if I hit anything. I sincerely hope I didn't accidentally hurt an animal, but then I find the damage. A massive flat in my front tire. I glance around at the empty pitch-black roads and back down to my tire. Well, shit. Just the way to end my night.

***
*Author's Note*
Thanks for reading!! ❤️ Don't forget to vote

****Author's Note*Thanks for reading!! ❤️ Don't forget to vote