Chapter 31: Big Bad Wolf

Halloween

A week and a half later and I still haven't seen Bash. I am assuming I am no longer invited to his Halloween party since we haven't had our pizza night in over two weeks. But it is truly not as if I actually wanted to go to the party. I am perfectly content reading a new mystery book from the bookstore paired with devouring bags of candy.

Sitting at my dorm desk munching on some peanut butter cups, I'm currently staring at the application for the hospital internship Lukas was telling me about. However, my mind is drawing a blank for "why I want this position." As I continue to stare at the screen my fingers hovering on my keyboard, Jamie barges in with an absurdly large black duffle bag stuffed to the rim. She drags it across my dorm wooden floor by the strap pulling it as she walks backward. She looks up at me with a wicked grin to match the very odd situation. My eyes widen and Becky leans over to see the commotion.

"Hey James, you didn't get too much into the spirit of Halloween and kill anyone right?" I joke and Becky giggles in the corner.

"Haha Emma," she says with a phony laugh. "No, I decided we are going out," she declares blatantly and pulls the bag up to her waist huffing, and then throws it onto my bed my pillows bouncing from the impact.

"You decided? I don't get a decision in the matter?" I say and close my laptop relieved that I can put the application on hold.

"Not today no. I know what your answer would be, but as your friend, I am not going to let you mope around because your other best friend is being a dick." She starts pulling out various headbands, pieces of cloth, and gadgets from the bag throwing them carelessly around.

"I am not moping," I say assuredly watching her make a mess.

"I think it would be fun," Becky comments timidly from her spot on her side of the room. I turn around shooting her the evil eye at her betrayal and she shrugs innocently in response.

"See there we go. Two against one," Jamie states clapping her hands. "I got some great ideas for costumes," she says while pulling out a tutu that makes my eyes bulge out of their sockets.

"You got to be joking," I say not amused.

Becky chimes in softly. "Emma, I can invite Ray, Jess, and Jared along as well. They were going to go out anyway."

I sit down on the corner of what's left of my bed. "I got a really good book I was dying to read," I reply to both of them.

"Yeah, you are right. You are going to die if you turn down a party to read," Jamie mutters exasperated. "It is Halloween it's the excuse to slut it up and no one judges. You spent all of freshmen year inside a book. So get your tiny ass up we are going out," she demands fiercely. I glance at her and then down to her bag hesitantly. She senses my skepticism. "Come on, even the guys strip down," she states suggestively waggling her eyebrows.

I bite my lip restraining a smile not wanting to encourage her.

"Emma, look it will be really fun. Jeremy asked me to go too and I kinda wanted to go with a group. You can leave early if you truly hate it," Jamie implores.

I look down at the costumes. "What do you got?" I begrudgingly ask and she smiles widely in return. She pulls out some more pieces of cloth and headpieces.

"Alright so sexy devil, sexy angel, slutty unicorn, hot cowgirl, cat-woman, sexy tiger..."

I stop her. "Yeah, okay, no. I don't like any of those," I state matter-of-factly shaking my head.

She quirks an eyebrow. "Look at you being picky. Alright, what do you want to be?"

I look at the stuff she selected. Nothing jumps out at me. I see a red cloak for a vampire costume that looks warm and I wrap it around my shoulders.

"How about Red Riding Hood?" I say glancing down at myself envisioning it.

"Ooh I love it Emma," Becky adds nodding her head in appreciation.

"Alright but sexy Red Riding Hood," Jamie declares wagging her finger at me and I roll my eyes but I'm unable to resist withholding my smile any longer. She matches the cloak with a black bustier top, a high mini skirt, fishnet stockings, and adds my black over-the-knee-boots. I try it on in the bathroom secretly admiring the way it accentuates my every curve. I observe my reflection in the mirror at the very revealing outfit I would never wear, but surprisingly like. I am starting to see the appeal of a Halloween costume because you can wear what you would never have the nerve to do on any other given day.

"Look at you hottie! Now you just need to find your big bad wolf." Jamie winks at me as I emerge back into my room. I laugh in response and she goes into the bathroom to change into her costume as I begin to layer on a light layer of makeup. I tie my hair back and stare back into my vanity disproving and ultimately decide to braid my hair back into pigtails. As I finish up my hair and makeup with one last swipe of a whisper of lipstick, Jamie struts out wearing a pirate outfit looking stunning with a crop top and bandanas tied around her wrists. Becky peers over at us in the mirror in a high-low skirt and a puffy white top with lots of bangles on her wrists.

"Aha! I got some tarot cards for you Becky," Jamie tells her and she pulls them out of what I am pretty sure is a Mary Poppins bag. Becky thanks her in return and we finish making last-minute touch-ups. Dejected, I slip my mystery book on my desk as we wait for Jeremy to pick us up.

***
*Author's Note*

So I love dressing up for Halloween and going on haunted walks but given the circumstances, not this year. Stupid pandemic ruining my festiveness. Is anyone doing anything for Halloween? Or if you don't celebrate Halloween favorite candy? (mines Crunch & I'm going to be watching Hocus Pocus & maybe visiting a friend) Vote & Comment 💕