Chapter 54: Striped & Solids

Friday
We duck into the door underneath the flickering Billards sign. Bash asked me out tonight for our "official second date". After handing me a wooden pole he walks over to the table and begins placing the balls into a triangle. His slim henley top rides up giving me quite the view of his abdomen. I have to hold back a sigh.

"I wish I didn't know how to play so you could wrap your arm around me and show me," I murmur hugging my cue stick.

He lifts the rack from the table his one eyebrow raising.

"Oh really?" He says suggestively his voice low and sultry. He drops the rack to advance toward me.

"Wait um," I whisper now nervous at my forwardness. My mind really doesn't think before speaking anymore. He hugs me from behind wrapping his arms comfortably around my waist.

"I was just teasing," I whisper as his body heat envelops me. His head falls into the curve of my neck and he brushes his lips against my skin. My eyes involuntarily close and I shiver.

"Well I really liked that idea," he teases back. I snap out of it laughing and lightly push him away to clear my thoughts.

"Please, you're just trying to throw me off so you have an advantage."

His jaw drops but then a slow smirk forms. "Ahh, I see how it is. We are going to play it that way." He shakes his head grinning. "Alright, Emma let's make this interesting then. Let's make a bet."

I cross my arms and smile smugly. "And what will I win?"

He steps closer chuckling. "Well, what do you want to win?"

My mock arrogance vanishes. I don't want anything. I got everything I want. Him. School. I nibble on my lip and he gazes at me expectantly. "Okay, I want an answer to a question."

He tilts his head observing me. "I like that. Ok if you win, which is very unlikely, however," he says in jest, "you can ask me any question and if I win I get to do the same."

I nod my head. "Sounds like a deal." He puts out his hand and I shake it grinning amusedly. We both take our turns starting the game and I settle with solids and he takes stripes.

"I am bummed I don't have epidemiology again for the spring semester," I say moving around the table to find a better angle for my shot.

"You talk about this class a lot. Why don't you just change your major to that," he answers watching me.

I shoot...and miss. "I can't," I deadpan.

He goes for his turn and dunks a striped ball and repeats for his second turn. "Why not Emma?"

"Well because..." I say hesitantly.

"Exactly. College is about changing your mind."

I swallow. "You know why I can't. My parents want me to be a doctor," I reason.

He puts his pole down directing his attention back to me. "Your parents aren't the ones who will have to be a doctor for the next forty years. Do what you want. Only you." He grabs my hand and kisses each finger. I giggle at his corniness.

"Okay. Alright," I answer and finally take my turn.

"You know you don't have to be so hard on yourself and limit yourself to all these rules. You are allowed to change your mind. I even have an interview on Monday for my major change."