Chapter 59: Parents

Sunday

My foot won't stop its relentless tapping. Every time it taps I get closer to jumping out of this seat and not coming back because I don't seem to know how to form any words tonight.

My family is having its first family dinner in over a decade. My mom, dad, and Bash are all here at my dining room table eating a store-bought casserole. My mom got it last minute after I called her telling her I had some important news. I thought I would just tell her over the phone, but she unexpectedly said we could discuss it over dinner. Completely dumbfounded, I agreed and now am overcome at the thought of the two bombshells I planned on revealing to her. Out of the blue, Bash gently taps my manic leg and that spurts me in action.

"So, Bash and I are dating...like as a couple," I utter out suddenly, breaking the silence that has been hanging over us. I put my fork down and make frantic eyes at Bash because I wasn't quite ready to talk yet. He winks at me before sitting up straighter bracing himself for my parent's reaction.

My dad gently dabs his napkin against his mouth. "You two are dating?"

I nod my head nervously and Sebastien says, "Yes, Dr. Barnes," and he grabs my hand that's laying in my lap.

My dad takes another bite of his casserole softly chewing. "That's fine," he adds nonchalantly. I blink.

My mom shoots a small nod in our direction but doesn't look up from her work phone. I clear my throat and glance toward Bash who shrugs and continues eating. Well damn, that was uneventful. Only the soft noise of utensils clicking continues to fill the air.

"I turned down the internship because I'm not going to be a doctor," I blurt out as well.

My mom's fork clatters against the table and my dad chokes on his water. His cup that is hovering near his mouth starts spilling into his plate. Ok, there we go. The reaction I was expecting.

My mom sets aside her phone. "Um, sweetie are you alright? You know that's not the plan Emma." I tighten my grip on Sebastien's hand and shove down my immediate urge to try and appease their goals.

"That is the new plan," I announce hoping I come off as confident and secure. Both my parent's eyes are the widest I have ever seen in my life. "I got an epidemiology research position with my previous professor and well, I um, accepted," I explain to them.

"Epidemiology?" My mom announces like it is a foreign language.

"Yeah." I quickly glance at Bash and he gives me an encouraging nod. I straighten my back. "That's my new goal and career track."

"And when did this happen?" She says close-lipped.

"Mom, dad." I close my eyes and clench the napkin in my lap. "Being a doctor has honestly never been my dream. It has always been yours and I need to finally go after my dreams. This is what I want. I can't be a doctor, because I don't want to be. I enjoy epidemiology and I will rather be in a lab examining and studying rather than always being with people. It's just not me. Epidemiology is me." I keep my eyes shut after I complete my rant unable to face my parent's faces.

I hear silence and finally get the courage to open my eyes. my parents are staring at each other seeming to have a silent conversation. My mom turns to face me.

"Honey, we of course don't want you to only be a doctor for us. Are you sure this is what you want?"

"I am positive mom," I say assuredly, not needing to look at Bash for any more support. This is what I want and I have to express that to them both.

My dad even though I can see the small disappointment stretching across his face offers me a gentle smile. "We only want you to chase your dreams honey. Thanks for being honest. We won't push you anymore on it."

"Yes he's right," my mom agrees. "We're sorry we didn't pay attention. I am sorry Emma you felt you had to be a doctor. Of course we wanted that for you, but if that is not what you want we will accept whatever you choose. We only want you to succeed even if we aren't going about it the right way."

My eyes start to tear up and I release my iron grip on the napkin.

"Th-thanks. I really appreciate that." I smile at my parents and then at Bash who returns it.

My parents nod and I know they aren't entirely happy, but they accept and respect my choice and that is what matters.

"So, tell me about this epidemiology research," my dad says and I smile earnestly and start telling them both all about the position.

***
*author's note*
This was a very short chapter but I wanted to wrap the story up with Emma finally telling her parents! Send a vote if you are proud of Emma 💕

I only plan to have one more chapter so we are nearing the end. Kinda sad but I am happy I got this far :) Thanks for the support and comments ❤️ I appreciate it very much! I hope you all have a lovely rest of your day.