14 | checkmate

CHAPTER FOURTEEN... 

"It shall be the policy of this nation to regard any nuclear missile crossing the embargo line that surrounds Cuba, as an attack by the Soviet Union on the United States," President Kennedy's black and white face holds all of our attention. I try to keep my breathing steady as we continue to watch the address.

"Requiring," he continues, "a full retaliatory response upon the Soviet Union." Moira and Charles exchange glances while Erik takes my hand from where I stand next to him. He lifts his other hand --still holding the gun--, and points to the television.

"That's where we're gonna find Shaw." he says. My breath catches in my throat. Shaw. We're going to him. We're going to fight him. We're going to stop him. The idea is both equally terrifying and exhilarating.

"How do you know?" Alex asks. Raven stands next to him looking worried, while Sean stands beside her, his hands in his pockets. I bite my lip and dare to take a good look at him. I'm surprised to find that he seems exactly like the roguish, playful Sean I know. It seems me separating myself from him hasn't exactly taken a toll on his optimism. I need confirmation, so I stare at him until he realizes I'm looking. When our eyes meet, I ask him through my gaze. Are we alright?

For a moment, he doesn't move, then he slowly --almost imperceptibly-- nods his head. I let out a breath and turn back to the TV.

"Two superpowers facing off," Charles says. "and he wants to start World War III..."

I speak up. "He won't leave anything up to chance." They all turn to me. "If he wants something done so badly, he'll do it himself."

"So much for diplomacy." Erik says, a hint of sarcasm lacing his words. Though the air in the room is tight with tension, I still manage a giggle. "I suggest you all get a good night's sleep." That's enough to cause me to stop. So soon. In just a few hours, we'll be flying over to Cuba. We'll have to fight, using our abilities against the Hellfire Club. We'll have to face off against Shaw. I'll have to face him.

I gulp, my throat tightening with each breath I take. I need air, I need to distract my mind. Erik begins to walk away, so I follow him. Once we get out into the foyer, I practically run outside. The moment I step out into the fresh afternoon sun, I gulp in the air like it's the last time I'll ever breathe. After a moment, I calm down and walk over to the spot where Erik stood, able to move the satellite. I can still feel the raw power of his movements buzz through my hand.

"Leena!" an eerily familiar voice calls out to me, and I don't have to turn around to know who it is, but I do anyway. Sean walks towards me, his movements hurried, and he breathes hard once he get's closer.

"Hey, Sean." I say, my voice timid and small. I curse myself for being so weak. We are good, so why do I still feel like I should apologize?

"I just wanted to tell you..." Sean starts, running a hand through his hair anxiously. I wait patiently, my hands over my waist. I don't think I've ever seen him in such a rush to say something. Most of the time, he will speak as if he has all the time in the world.