25 | jealousy, jealousy

"Look," Callie cuts Avery off mid-sentence where the two of them are sat on the beige linoleum floor across from the nurse's office in their matching sets of runner shorts and their blue Acebridge West zip-up hoodies. "I don't think Ethan is a bad person. I mean, remember that night last year when I could barely stand on my own two feet and he helped me out?"

"When you asked if he knew how voter registration works and then proceeded to throw up all over his shoes?" Avery presses her lips together to suppress the sympathetic laugh on the tip of her tongue as Callie grimaces. "I remember. So does he, by the way. May I ask you to refrain from doing that again tonight?"

"Fine by me," She says, pulling at the ends of her hair to tighten her ponytail. "Point being, you don't have to try and convince me he's a good guy. That's not why–"

They fall silent as the door across from the unlocks, Ms Bennett – their school nurse – popping her head out through the crack. A small sigh escapes her and she lets the door slide open further, revealing Lea sat atop the hospital bed with a sour expression and an ice pack pressed to her knee.

"If you two girls aren't planning on returning to class you may as well come wait inside."

"Don't let them in," Lea huffs. "They'll only want to call my mom and then I won't get to play this weekend."

"I don't think you should be playing either way," Ms Bennett shoots over her shoulder before raising her brows at the two girls still sat on the floor. "So?"

Callie flashes her brightest smile. "We'll be in in a minute."

             Avery's pretty sure if it had been anyone else they'd been sent back to class already but something about Callie's energy has the ability to soften even the sharpest edges of authority and Ms Bennett only shakes her head with a small smile before closing the door on them again. As soon as they're left to their privacy in the somewhat oddly smelling empty hallway Callie turns to look at Avery again.

"It's not that I don't want to talk to you about it," Callie says to explain her silence these past days. It's the first time ever since Ethan drove the two of them home from the Homecoming BBQ last week they've grazed the topic and though Avery's itched for Callie to say something – anything – she hasn't wanted to push either. Hasn't been sure what her friend's words will be once they're spoken. Callie lets her ponytail out, running a hand through the fiery ginger shades with a small sigh. "But I feel like the more I know the more I'll be keeping from the others and you know I can't lie to save a life and–"

Avery bites down at her lip, casting her eyes across the hall to where 'VOTE CABRAL MONTGOMERY' is etched into the surface of a locker by blue pen. She scratches at the remains of her nail polish from Saturday's Homecoming dance, slight guilt settling on her chest. "I haven't asked you to lie for me. I don't expect you to."

"I know you haven't asked me to but it's not like you've told anyone else about this. Which I get, I do. But... you know."

She knows Callie didn't ask to have her very obvious feelings for Ethan shoved in her face. It sort of just happened. Pressing her lips together, she leans her head back against the wall. "I'm sorry I put you in this situation."

Callie dismisses her words with a small wave of her hand, tone of voice softer as she scoots closer and rests her head upon Avery's shoulder – enveloping her in her sweet coconut scent. "He makes you happy. I can tell,"

Avery's lips tug into a smile.

"I think this is the first time you've actually let someone in close."