5 | fingers crossed

"Avery? I'm so sorry but could I ask you to do a coffee run?"

Avery gets up from her chair as she glances over at Anna where she's stood by one of the bookshelves in the office, browsing through the folders with an apologetic look on her face. 

Instead of pointing out that fetching coffee is basically expected as part of her job Avery simply nods with a smile, "Yes of course."

"Good," Anna takes one of the folders into her hand, meeting her halfway and hands her a slip of paper and a debit card. "There you have it – get yourself something as well if you want. The pin is the same as the one you use to get into the offices. Oh and I was thinking you can sit in on the meeting too?"

"Okay. Yeah I'd love to," She nods. "I'll be right back."

          She's made her way down two of the three flight of stairs, rounding the railing to the third just as someone comes running the other way and she has to jump to the side as not to collide with them.

He looks as startled as her, rubbing one of his hands through his hair as his eyes flickers over her where she's stood at the top of the landing, "Oh, hey."

"You're back."

"I am," He says, lips tilting into the smallest smile. "Where are you going?"

She waves the slip of paper in the air between them, running her free hand down the fabric of her dress. "Beans & Bagels. Coffee run."

Ethan turns on his heel, beginning to descend the stairs he just ran up. "Okay, let's go."

Avery's brows etches together, the corners of her mouth twitching in amusement. "You're coming with?"

"I want a latte. And you'll probably need help carrying the stuff anyways."

She catches up to him, slipping out of the door as he holds it open – the sun immediately hitting her in the face where it's high on the bright blue sky. 

"I'm more than capable to get some beverages from one place to another."

Ethan shoots her a sideway glance, pushing his hands into his dark shorts as they walk down the street. "Don't doubt that. But speaking as someone who usually gets to do the coffee runs, those editors are quite heavy on their orders."

She eyes the slip in her hand, frowning. "All these things for five people?"

"Told you."

She flickers her eyes between him and the scribbles on the paper slip. "Yeah, okay you can help."

"What a nice way of saying 'thank you Ethan for being such a great friend and helping me out'."

Suppressing the faintest smile she shoots him a pointed look. "You're forgetting something."

"What?"

She makes a gesture by pointing her finger between them. "We're not friends."

"Ah, right," They take a turn, swiftly glancing to their right and left before crossing the street and Ethan spins on his heel where he's half a step in front of her, walking backwards. "Aren't we though?"

"I don't even like you."

"Well, I'm not exactly your biggest fan either."

Avery's eyes narrow, hand coming out to rest on the handle of the glass door spelling out Beans & Bagels in orange bold letters. "What have I ever done to you?"