42 | commencement

"Is there any way I can persuade you to take this cake off my hands?"

Stood by the ceiling high bookshelf lining one of the walls of the T.H Publishing offices, Avery's lips slip into a smile as she lets her gaze drift from the colorful spines upon the shelves to the kitchenette where her mother and Anna are stood on opposite sides of the counter.

The latter of the two women stares at the pristinely white cakebox before her, the mint green ribbon still neatly wrapped around it. "You'd be doing me a favor, really."

"Is that even a question?" Avery asks, her fingers absentmindedly tracing the spines next to her as she takes notice of the few additions made to the collection since she was last here. "Of course we'll take the cake."

Sarah laughs softly. "I guess we're taking the cake," She says, holding her hands out for the box. "It's not like we're without cause for celebration."

Avery's smile widens at her mother's words. The past weeks have gone by in a blur, June is just around the corner – and so is the day of her graduation.

"Well," Anna grabs her tote, fishing her keys out. Giving the office one last glance for the day as if to make sure she hasn't forgotten anything, she lets her long brown hair out of the clip holding it together at the back of her head. She nods toward the door. "Let's get out of here then."

Since Sarah has her hands fill with the cakebox, Avery grabs her colorful paperback – the book club's pick for the month – for her and follows the other two out the door. Anna gets the lights and locks up behind them before leading the way down the three flights of stairs.

Stepping out into the early evening, they're welcomed by a light blue sky; the sun hasn't quite set yet but it's not shining bright either, it's simply there. A comfortable warmth lingers in the air, faint birdsong melting together with the distant chatter from the outdoor seatings lining the streets of the nearby neighborhoods.

Anna pulls them both into one-armed hugs as she bids them goodbye, about to head in the opposite direction to where her car is parked.

"I'll see you Thursday," She says to Sarah before moving on to Avery, pulling her into her embrace as she beams. "And you too! If not sooner."

Parting ways, Sarah and Avery have only just rounded the corner of the street to head for their Mini Cooper as Sarah glances at her daughter. "Do you want to stop by Beans & Bagels before we go home?"

Though it's nearing dinnertime, Avery's lips slip into a smile at the thought of an iced chai. "Yes. Definitely. To Beans & Bagels it is."

A slight breeze – the ocean reminding them of its presence even through the maze of streets that is the center of town – lifts her hair and flutters the skirt of her blue linen sundress as they cross onto another street, steering their steps toward Main.

Avery relishes in the scent of salt it brings with it, her chest expanding with warmth. This year, the town and its traditions, may have brought along more than a few trials but it's home. And she loves it. Especially when summer is at its doorstep.

Sarah adjusts her grip on the cakebox. "I was thinking carbonara for dinner. And then cake for dessert, apparently."

"I think that sounds great," Avery says, skin prickling comfortably as another ocean breeze passes them by. "I was thinking we could watch 'Legally Blonde' while having said dessert."

"You know, considering these past weeks, I'm beginning to think your choice of films are based on whether or not they include at least one scene featuring a cap and gown."