7 | change of plans

Sarah's grip around the phone in her hand tightens, lips pulling into a straight line as she draws in a deep breath through her nose, looking as she'd like to hurl the device across the park. 

Or maybe, crash it into a thousand tiny pieces with a hammer and then hurl it all the way across the park.

She exhales with a loud groan as she pushes the device back into her pocket, startling a little boy by the swing set just as they pass by the playground located in the south corner of the park.

Avery presses her teeth into her bottom lip, biting back a laugh before frowning as she shoots her mother a glance where they're walking side by side. "What's wrong?"

Sarah draws another deep breath in through her nose. "Wall Street," She mutters under her breath. "I'll deal with it later."

Avery nods, slurping the melted ice at the bottom of her drink before throwing the now empty cup into a trashcan. She pauses in her step, glancing out over the jet of water flowing into the pond-like circular fountain. "I should get back to work."

Sarah beams, pulling her short hair into a bun. "To think that I have a working daughter who'll squeeze me in for a walk on her lunch break!" Avery rolls her eyes but her lips are quick to crack a smile when she spots the pride crossing her mother's face, being pulled into a hug. 

"Oh and I don't have any meetings after two so I'll probably spend the afternoon catching up on some laundry," Sarah says, side stepping her daughter to throw her coffee cup into the bin. "Is there anything you'll need washed before leaving on Sunday?"

Except for the guide book and two paperbacks that lies on her nightstand, Avery hasn't even begun to think about what to pack for her trip. "I don't think so, no."

Sarah tucks a few stray hairs behind Avery's ear. "Let me know if anything comes to mind, will you?"

"Yeah, I will."

Sarah hooks her arm in Avery's as they make their way towards the north exit. "Lets walk you back to work then."

♡♡♡

Ethan's sat in her desk chair, spinning himself around in circles as she returns to the offices. The sight reminds her of the night of the book launch and her lips automatically pull into a smile, watching him out of the corner of her eye as she walks over to the kitchenette to fill herself a glass of water.

Anna is nowhere to be seen and Violet is sat in her own chair at the desk across from Ethan, phone pressed to her ear and a scowl on her face as she tries to get a point across to whoever's on the other end of the line.

"Oh for–" Violet's chair almost topples over as she shoots to her feet.

Avery glances up just as he stops spinning around, amusement flickering over his gaze as he watches the woman stride down the hallway towards the conference rooms, phone held in the air in front of her. Avery can't help the silent laugh escaping her lips, if there's anything she has learnt from having heard Violet on the phone it's that you do not want to end up on her bad side.

Ethan catches her gaze. "Hey."

"Hi," She lifts the glass of water to her lips as she rounds the counter, crossing the room before setting it down next to the computer on her desk. "I believe you're in my chair."

"Oh, yeah."

As he doesn't make a move to get up she sets her mini tote down on the floor, pushing her fingers through her hair as she sits down at the edge of the desk. Her gaze immediately travels to the pad of orange post-it's next to the keyboard, eyes narrowing and lips quirking up as she reaches for it.