10 | capulets and montagues

The impatient tapping of Lea's sneaker sole against the hardwood floor is heard all the way upstairs.

An exasperated call comes seconds later. "Let's go!"

"We're going to the beach not the Oscars!" Nic agrees. "Get a fucking move on."

"Excuse me for wanting to look pretty," Avery mutters, rolling her lips together as she passes along the tube of lip gloss in her hand to Callie before shuffling past Luke where he's inched towards the mirror, running a hand through his hair to style it. "We better get going or they'll leave without us."

Callie peers at her reflection in the mirror, gathering her hair up in her hands before releasing it again, letting it flow out over her shoulder. "Can't we just stay here?" She asks. "I don't even like these people."

A small smile curls on Luke's lips and he throws an arm around the redhead as the three of them make their way out of the bathroom – which is far too small to fit three people in the first place. "Careful Ms President."

"It's not like they can hear me."

"Can hear what?" Lea calls from where she's stood by the door, hand already laced around the handle, ready to throw it open and leave any second. "Are you guys talking about us?"

Nic, stood next to Lea and looking just as done with waiting, crosses his arms, eyes narrowing as if trying to figure out if the girl is right in her assumption. Avery shakes her head in response as she leads the way down the stairs, running her hand along the hem of her sundress – yellow adorned with tiny flowers embroidered across it's chest–, smoothing it found where it ends by her thighs. Lea gets the door open and they're immediately met by the sound of birds singing.

"Everyone ready?"

"Define ready."

"Oh come on," Avery interlaces her fingers with Callie's, leaving the locking up to the other three as she pulls her friend with her to the three bikes stood in the driveway – hers, her mother's and Nic's. "It'll be fun."

"I know," Callie says, getting onto the bike and motioning for Avery to take a seat at the package holder. "I'm just being me. And I already miss the Macadamia Brittle."

"We'll have some when we get back."

"Promise?"

"Duh."

♡♡♡

She wraps her arms around Callie's waist as a slight breeze of air travels through the warm July night, the fabric of the girl's silk camisole top soft against her cheek as she leans it against her back. She smiles as she catches Lea's gaze where the girl's sat on the package holder behind Luke, legs swung out to her sides as the bikes roll downhill, laughing as the boy scolds her for letting go only to swing her arms out too.

"You'll fall off!"

"Then I'll fall off!" Lea calls back before leaning her head back and letting another loud laugh escape her lips.

           Nic's the one who initially heard about the 'get together' down by the beach, in other words – a party. It hadn't taken the five of them long before deciding to go. Avery – like Callie – wouldn't have minded staying in back at her place, spending the night watching yet another Disney Channel Original Movie while stuffing their faces and lie awake for far too long talking.

However, being lured by the prospect of getting up to a different kind of fun on their next to last night together had won over the comfortableness of staying in. The lure of, not getting dressed up per say but exchanging her pajamas for a dress and actually applying some lip gloss to her lips. Of combing her blonde hair out over her shoulders instead of twisting it into a bun on the top of her head. Of going out, and of enjoying what summer in Acebridge has to offer before they're all off to their own again.