xiii. IN THE SHADOWS

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓in the shadows┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓
in the shadows
┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

AS THE DAY went on, the clouds became denser, cuddling together like a bath of cotton. Their colour darkened with every minute, the development becoming more and more visible for strollers and everyone walking on the streets. Among these people were Janet, John and Sherlock. They were just returning from their rescue, talking about their further methods on solving the whole crime, all three in a somewhat glum mood.

"There are five children left", recollected John thoughtfully, digging his his hands into his jacket, since the ice-cold air was stiffening his fingers. "One of them is the Prime Minister's son. We can't safe him, Sherlock." He shook his head in determination, signalising that discussing this wasn't an option. "If the Prime Minister finds out that we interfered, we'll get into huge trouble."

"Oh, come on", responded Sherlock in annoyance. "As if that mattered to us. Nobody can tell us what to do." He wrinkled his nose, breathing in the fresh air, which seemed to boost his thinking every time. While talking, he hadn't bothered focusing on John or Janet. He kept walking in his own pace and ignoring his companions and their concerns equally.

"But Mycroft said the Prime Minister has his ways of finding his son", interfered Janet, who was trailing behind the two of them and now decreasing the distance between them by speeding up. "So, why waste our time on finding him, if he's already getting saved by Mr. Dad Famous?". She shrugged at John's surprised glance, waving it off with her hand. Then, John dedicated himself to Sherlock again. "She got a point", he admitted. "But what about the others? Do you have ideas on how to find them? The prime minister might leave them behind. He's a bureaucrat and nothing else."

Sherlock reached into his coat pocket, pulling out his phone and clearly not listening to John. "Of course", he said carelessly and with a detached undertone, as if he was reassuring a child that he'd listened to their imaginary story.

"So?", John asked challengingly and with high interest.

Sherlock didn't bother responding. Instead, he frantically dialed a number and pressed his phone against his ear. After a minute of uncomfortable silence, his face lit up slightly, and he spoke into the phone: "Hello. Meet me at the lab in ten minutes." After having said this, he shoved the phone back into the pocket, resuming his walk as if nothing has occurred.

"Was that Molly? What do you need from her?", wanted John to know, but Sherlock already turned into the next side alley leading to the Main Street. He was waving to fetch a cab, falsely smiling at the two Watson siblings. "Turn on your ringtone. I'll catch up with you".

"Amazing", whispered John quietly, then louder, just before Sherlock got into a cab. "You're such a reliable person, Sherlock!".

The sky started crying in that exact moment, the clouds releasing the water they'd stored, and Sherlock driving away. John shrugged casually and suddenly smiled at Janet. It was only now when Janet realised that John and her haven't had a decent conversation since her arrival, at least not without Sherlock being present.