xi. SINISTER

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓sinister┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓
sinister
┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

DURING THE TAXI drive, Sherlock explained his flash of genius towards the two Watsons. Confronted with Sherlock's flood of words, the taxi driver didn't dare glaring at them only once, his hands were cramped around the steering wheel.

"I was trying to connect the telephone number of that phone to its location. I went through every possibility, accounts and data you can store on your phone, anything related to phones, social network, everything regarding technology – but as I was thinking about the numbers of the other children, analysing how you can possibly relate a number to a location, I realised I was thinking way too complicated. If you need to decide for digits that you have to remember, like passcodes or labels, do you pick random numbers or those you won't forget anyway, like birthdays?".

"So what you're saying is basically that it's not about the phone number or his phones, it's about something else?".

Sherlock let out his crazy-professor look. "Exactly, John. Exactly."

"So, where exactly are we going?".

"6742 is a hiding place of him. We both know his parents aren't the most understanding people", he addressed at Janet. "So he needed somewhere to be alone. Some place far enough away not to be found, but close to get there by feet."

"How do you know the exact place?", asked John.

"You found something, didn't you?". Janet fidget around on her seat, turning towards Sherlock. "What is it?".

"When I was in his room, a slight smell of spruce emmissioned from a notebook of him. I went through the pages and found some marble syrup, like it was lying on a wood's ground. His pair of shoes was covered in mud, from the same place. I found trails of edelweiss on the soles, which only grows in specific areas near his home."

"If you saw all that at his room already, why did you only figure out his location now?".

Sherlock twitched his jaw. "Why haven't you found it out, if you are so clever?".

"I was busy getting beaten up by the father!".

"If you would have stayed in control, that wouldn't have happened either", he said harshly, not looking into Janet's eyes. Janet didn't respond, only crossed her arms. She tried to look angry, but in fact there was a part of her having gotten hurt. She hated it to lose control, it was her biggest secret. Sherlock was jumping around on her weak-spot, not even aware of it.

"So." John cleared his throat. "6742. Why the numbers?".

"Isn't it obvious?".