xvi. SOMEBODY ELSE

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓somebody else┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓
somebody else
┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

ONE DAY LATER Lestrade showed up in the flat, clearly upset about something. He entered without knocking, Mrs. Hudson trailing behind him. She was on his heels, her expression slightly concerned. "He wouldn't wait outside", she said apologetically, sending an accusatory glance at Lestrade, who was occupied with rubbing his eyes in exhaustion. "Sherlock. We need to talk", he pressed.

Sherlock was sitting at the desk, passionately staring at the screen of his computer. His hand was stroking his chin and he didn't bother looking up. "The Prime Minister found out that we have our fingers in the game and set you off the case, ordering you to tell me off. Anything else?", asked Sherlock casually, his eyes flickering to Lestrade only for a brief momentum.

Lestrade looked startled, but within a few moments he recovered successfully. "Yes. You're right indeed, but for a change, you have to obey this, Sherlock. This matter is serious. The prime minister could basically... make us all jobless."

"He certainly couldn't take away MY job", said Sherlock, rolling his eyes. "For my job is to take people's offers. Humans are quite unlikely suddenly stopping to make drama and being involved in crimes, will they?".

Lestrade lowered his head, leaning against the door now. "Alright. But he could take away my job. And Mycroft's, possibly. Which I don't care about, but if you have even the slightest bit of humanity inside you, you keep your hands off this case."

Sherlock finally closed the tabs on the computer, leaping up from his chair. He forced an arrogant smile on his face. "Well, good for me that I indeed don't have humanity in me. I'm a high functioning sociopath. I'll do whatever I want to do."

"Sherlock, I...".

"Close the door once you've walked out, will you?"

"I'm being serious."

Sherlock looked at Lestrade for the first time that day, examining him as if there was something to discover and explore. Then he froze. "So am I. Unless you brought some chips, you can leave this flat now."

Mrs. Hudson, who had been eavesdropping in the hallway, joined the both of them now, nodding approvingly.

Lestrade sighed in despair, turning around. "Sherlock, this time you are going too far."

"Oh, what a nice compliment." Sherlock smiled widely. "I love, love, love it to exceed borders. Nothing more fun than that."

Lestrade only shook his head, walking off tentatively. Once he'd left, Mrs. Hudson took word upon her: "It was a bit mean, though", she said now, making a grimace. "Don't you think, Sherlock dear?".