xii. NO EXCUSES

┏━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┓no excuses┗━━━━ ༄ ━━━━┛

┏━━━━ ━━━━┓
no excuses
┗━━━━ ━━━━┛

DIMMED LIGHT FLICKERED through the hallways, silence putting an uncomfortable, yet reassuring layer upon the atmosphere. The school was empty, appeared strangely dead and lonely. Janet's and Sherlock's hesitating steps were echoing from wall to wall, causing goosebumps to erupt on Janet's skin. If she hadn't known any better, if her rational senses didn't work quite this well, she would have dwelled on feeling like being in a horror movie, as maniac killer jumping in front of her.

"Why isn't there any police? Isn't this a crime scene?", Janet asked and a shiver came over her, which she found herself enjoying once again.

Sherlock didn't respond, he was in a complete other world. His eyes scanned every inch of the awards and medals in a glass vitrine on the wall to their right. As they were getting closer the actual crime scene, Sherlock walked slower and slower, kicking the ground repeatedly and squatting down. "We have to go to their lockers", he said after a while.

"You think they weren't kidnapped in their classroom?", asked Janet, peeking over her shoulder towards room "6b".

Sherlock went into the classroom and spread his arms, as if he was presenting something.

"They have different books opened. History, Geography, English... someone tried to make it look like they were kidnapped in the middle of the lesson. Someone scattered the books on the desks to set a wrong track. But why? They can't have gone voluntarily, can they?".

Sherlock longed after a red-blue checked backpack on the floor. "They let their bags in the class. Hence, they thought they were going to come back here. Probably an alleged excursion. Collecting leaves or something...".

"They were in sixth grade!", Janet said. "Not in first."

Sherlock slid around and rolled his eyes. "What do I care? I don't need to know what they were up to. Just focus on the obvious", he said. "What else can you recognise?".

Instead of looking at the surroundings, Janet glanced towards Sherlock. He raised an eyebrow, but she didn't break eye contact. Slowly, she was walking towards the teacher's desk and caught a glimpse of the floor.

"There's no bag. She took everything with her."

Sherlock nodded. "Well, you're better at this than your brother. However, that's not necessarily hard to accomplish."

"I can imagine. He's better with... I don't know, other things. But you know that already."

"I do", said Sherlock. "He is good at being idiotic." He tried to suppress a grin, but failed in vain.

"He would probably say the same about you", said Janet, but she knew that wasn't the case. John would very likely enthuse about Sherlock and add that nobody should ever tell him about it.