Chapter Twenty Two

Colin and I were sitting on the hard plastic seats at the police station waiting for Rory and Logan to get out. My lips were pressed together in a tight line and Colin held my hand in between his, trying to keep me calm. He knew that there was a good chance I would try and kill Logan as soon as I saw him. Being arrested was not something Rory would do on her own and I knew for a fact that Logan had been arrested before. Ever since my mother rang me to tell me that Rory had been arrested for grand theft boating, I had going back and forth between being extremely pissed at her and Logan and amused at the situation. My head shot up as the bell above the police station door opened and my mother came hurrying inside, not even noticing me and Colin. Mom walked straight over to the counter where a female police officer was going over some papers.

"Hi. Hello. Yes, I'm here to pick up my daughter." Mom said to the officer and I could hear the panic in her tone.

"Your daughter's name?" the officer asked Mom.

"Rory Gilmore. Lorelai Gilmore. She goes by Rory. I don't know what you have her under."

"Rory Gilmore."

"Oh, that's good, because she only answers to that. Not that she won't to the other, but –"

"She'll be out in a minute."

"Okay. Thanks." Mom said and then paused for a second as she thought about something. "Sorry, when you say she'll be out, do you mean out of a cell?"

"Yep."

"So she was in a cell."

"That's where we usually put people when they're arrested."

"Was she in the cell alone?"

"It was a slow night. She had the place to herself." The officer reassured her.

"Oh, that's good. I mean, not that she's a snob. She can get along with anyone. It's just, it was her first time in a cell, and so I didn't want her to be attacked, you know, like in Caged Heat? Or was it Switchblade Sisters? Anyway. I mean, my daughter never gets into trouble. Except, you know, now. But on the whole, the kid is an angel. She goes to Yale. It's normally her sister that gets into trouble." Mom babbled and Colin and I shared an amused look.

"She'll be out in a minute."

"Right. I was just wondering. Is Rory in the system now? Because I just remember when Sipowicz's son accidentally got arrested because he looked like a drug dealer. Sipowicz was freaked out that the son was going to wind up in the system. And I just wonder, you know, should I be freaked out? And also, what exactly is the system?"

"She's got to go to court. They'll figure out what's going to happen."

"And am I going to have to pay anything? I mean, bail? Does she need bail?"

"They're releasing her on a P.T.A. A promise to appear."

"Oh, she will. She will appear. She might be there before you will." Mom said.

"I won't be there." The officer said, losing patience with Mom's babbling. I noticed the look on the officer's face so I stood up to go and get her.

"Right. But she will, 'cause she promised. I'll be over there." Mom said to the officer and she turned around and saw me standing with an amused look on my face. "You heard all that?" she asked me and I smirked before sitting back down next to Colin. Mom rolled her eyes at me and sat down next to me.

"We heard it all. Apparently, I'm trouble." I joked with a giggle and Mom suck her tongue out at me as Colin chuckled at our exchange. I gave Mom my free hand and squeezed her hand reassuringly. I heard the bell above the door and jerked my head up to see Finn and Harrison entered the station chatting to one another and Colin and I grimaced at each other knowing that their presence would not be appreciated by Lorelai.