Chapter Eleven

I looked around the empty bedroom. Looking at the furniture and the artwork but not really seeing any of it. I ran a hand through my already mused hair and sighed deeply. I could feel the tears starting to fill my eyes but I blinked rapidly to hold them at bay. I wrapped one arm around my waist and left the other tangled in my hair. I faintly heard the door open and close behind me but I didn't turn to see who it was. I closed my eyes and I felt the person who entered the room move closer to me and rest a hand on my shoulder. I closed my eyes and focused on the warm of the hand on my right shoulder. I needed to focus all my attention on something mundane. I took another deep breath and felt the oxygen fill my lungs. I slowly let it out and moved quickly out of reach. I had been keeping myself together for my father and for Francine but I couldn't do it anymore. I strode over to the bookcase and pushed all the books onto the ground. I flung my arm out and knocked the items that were on the desk onto the floor. I leant against the wall, breathing deeply. I knew I looked disgusting and crazy with my mused up hair and the black streaks that ran down my cheeks because of the tears that messed up my mascara. I leant my head back against the wall and felt my knees buckle. I sunk down to the floor and pushed my knees up to my chest. Finally breaking down, I cried and cried. I felt someone sink down next to me and wrap their arms around me. They pulled me to their chest and I gripped their collar for dear life. I just let the tears flow as I sobbed and sobbed until I ran out of tears.

_____________________

The Morning Before:

Ring. Ring. Ring.

The sound of the phone ringing woke me up out of a deep, peaceful sleep. I rolled over, ignoring the sleeping presence next to me. I groaned as I reached for my cell phone and answered it without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?" I greeted groggily. I sat up, clutching the sheet to my chest as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. When no one answered me, I glanced at the alarm clock on the bedside table and sighed in disbelief when I saw that it was only three in the morning. "Hello? Whoever this is better have a good reason for waking me up."

"Christa?" I heard my Dad say croakily and I frowned in concern at the tone of his voice.

"Dad? Are you okay? Is Gigi okay?" I asked in a panic. I had already started getting out the bed so that I could find the clothes that I had threw somewhere around the room last night.

"I'm fine and so is Gigi." Dad assured me and I sighed in relief. Even though Dad had assured me that he and Gigi were fine, that didn't explain why Dad was calling me this early in the morning in tears. I was about to ask what had happened when I froze in the act of putting on my shirt.

"Grandfather?" I asked in a sad whisper.

"Yeah, babe." He replied and I heard his voice crack. My heart nearly broke when I heard the broken sobs coming through the phone line. I just listened to my father grieve the loss of his as I continued putting on my clothing and walking out the front door of the random guy that I had met last night. I broke into a run as I neared my car.

"Are you at the hospital or your parents?" I asked my father as I climbed into the car.

"I'm at my parents' house." He replied to me question and I nodded to myself even though he couldn't see me.

"I'm on my way." I told him and started driving.

"No, babe, don't. You have school." Dad protested weakly and I rolled my eyes.

"You need me, Daddy." I said softly as I continued on my way to Hartford. I heard Dad audible sigh of relief that he wouldn't have to be alone. "Talk to me." I ordered him in a calm voice.