Chapter 44 - And you know I am not joking

She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings"

- Ariana Dancu

The days I got to spend with Draco were an absolute bliss. Most of the time we just slept in, then read together in the library, before fetching some lunch and having a picnic somewhere in the garden, spending most of the afternoon there.

The mood dropped a little when his departure neared, as I knew that these moments wouldn't happen again for a very long time. But I knew that it was the way it was supposed to be and one day, it'd all fall into place. One day I would be his girlfriend, without any fears or doubts.

I just had to be strong for a little while, be a Selwyn.

If our side won the upcoming wizarding war, which seemed very likely at the moment, Draco would probably remain a Death Eater for the rest of his life. That would mean that if I wanted to be with him, I had to get used to these ideas that this side portrayed. I had to not only support them, but genuinely believe them. I could probably skate around becoming a Death Eater, but not around being a part of the inner circle. If my father would get broken out of Azkaban, I'd be even closer to all of it. And I needed to stand beside him, showing him that he had raised a good daughter, a true Selwyn.

But I knew I wasn't there yet, so for now it was safer to not stir the pot by publicly dating Draco, until I was ready. It would only take a little while.

DRACO'S POV

"Have you got everything?" my mother asked as I was packing the last couple of items.

"I think so", I said, closing the zipper of my bag. This really was it. These couple of days had been great, but I knew that they had to end. There was a greater cause happening and I was a part of it. I could not let these people down and as badly as I would have liked to do it with Ellie's support, I knew that wasn't an option right now.

"So, how are you feeling?" she asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fine", I mumbled, putting the bag outside, just to have something to do.

"Draco, look at me", my mother said urgently. "You can be honest with me, I can see that you're scared."

"I'm not scared", I huffed. It was a huge lie. Of course I was scared. I got tasked with killing the second greatest wizard of all times. That burden was on my shoulders and on mine alone. But I could do this.

"Draco, don't lie to me", mum continued, stepping in front of me so I had to look at her. She had always been softer than my father, more supportive. "I know that this is hard for you and I wished things were different, I really do. Just know that you can talk to me."

"There's nothing you can do anyway, mum", I sighed. "So why bother?"

"Because I care about you Draco, is that so hard to believe?"

I laid down the pillow I was rearranging just to keep my hands busy. I knew she was worried, but that only made me more worried and I couldn't have that.

"I'll be fine, mum", I said, looking her in the eyes. "The only thing you can do for me is not tell a single soul about Eleanor and I, not even aunt Bellatrix. I don't want her involved in this."

She walked over to me and gave me a tight hug.

"I know", she sighed. "And I won't. I won't tell anyone."