Chapter 51 - You can't help someone who doesn't want your help

My dear, the problem is that you love him so much that you would allow him to drag you all the way to Hell if it meant you could hold his hand on the way down.

- NoddingPeonies

I had configured four plans in my head over the following few days, but three of them were either too risky or simply impossible.

I first wanted to figure out how to get into the Room of Requirement so I could go in there before Draco arrived and hide, but after many hours of research in the library, I learned that one can not open the Room of Requirement if someone else is in there. Moreover, I had to picture the thing I desired in order for it to appear, and I had no idea what this room was that Draco kept hiding in.

Next I very briefly explored the option to use the disillusionment charm and slip in after Draco, but that would for sure get me caught. The disillusionment charm made me blend into the background, but it didn't make me invisible. Therefore, brisk movements would mess with the charm, making the option impossible.

My next idea was to get my hands on an invisibility cloak, but since Potter was the only one who I knew that owned one, that was off the table too. Not only would he never let me borrow it, I couldn't bribe him with money either and never in the world would I ask a favor from Harry bloody Potter.

So there was only one option left and that was to teach myself the invisibility spell. It was quite a tricky one, though, so I had to delay my plans for a couple days, giving me the time to thoroughly research and practice the spell.

"Lea? Draco is in the common room, asking if you're coming to do patrol", Daphne said, her head popping into our dorm room. I checked my watch, noticing that it was already a quarter past ten.

"Oh, I lost track of time", I said, putting the book away. Draco was waiting for me? He hadn't done patrol in weeks, always leaving me on my own. I didn't feel any pity anymore, just anger. For sure he thought that another apology would help him out again, but I was not planning on letting that happen. He was the one ignoring me, not trusting me, he should pay the price.

I grabbed my coat and undid my hair as the ponytail was starting to hurt my scalp. I massaged it shortly before putting on some deodorant and walking out. Draco was indeed waiting at the exit of the common room, reading some piece of parchment, but he could wait there for hours if it was up to me. I passed him, not sparing him a single glance. He had treated me terribly and I wouldn't allow it.

He noticed though, and soon, I heard his footsteps behind me.

"Are you still angry at me for canceling our date?" he asked. I rolled my eyes. I hated men. Of course I was still angry about that, how could I not be? I had looked forward to it for days and he cancelled it to pursue this ridiculous plan that would only get him caught. If he had just gone on that stupid date with me we'd both be fine and so would Katie Bell.

"You're ignoring me now?" he said, catching up to me.

"Excuse me?" I huffed. "Where do you find the audacity to accuse me of ignoring you after how you've been acting." Draco sighed and took my arm, making me stop walking. I pulled myself out of his grip, well aware of the annoyed, petty look on my face, but I didn't care.

"I wouldn't have cancelled if it wasn't important, you have to believe me", he said.

"Important? I know you cursed Katie Bell that day, Draco", I crossed my arms. He looked up surprised, only confirming my suspicions.

"I didn't", he said, but his retort sounded weak.

"Bloody hell, it's no rocket science Draco. It was meant for Dumbledore, I heard the rumours. Don't you lie to me." Draco looked down, biting his lip, clearly uncomfortable. He wouldn't be in this position if he had just told me from the start.