Chapter 67 - Anxiety was coursing through my veins like hot metal

The ocean doesn't try to grow branches. The moon doesn't fight to burn hot. You don't see the stars trying to bloom, so for fuck's sake, don't you go changing for anyone.

- Erwin van Vuren

The aftermath of Dumbledore's death was just as terrible as the evening itself. We held a funeral a couple days after his death. All students attended, as did half the wizarding world. I sat in the far back, trying to avoid the stares.

There were many rumours about Dumbledore's death, as the teachers were very tight-lipped as to who had murdered the headmaster. There were whispers that Bellatrix had done it, there were whispers that Snape had done it, and there were whispers that Draco had been the murderer, which was the reason for the stares.

None of the students knew for sure who had killed the headmaster, but Draco Malfoy was suddenly not in school anymore, which made people very suspicious. They all stared at me as I walked by, wondering if I knew if it was true or not, wondering if I had known about it.

I spent most of the time in my dorm, staring out of the window. There was nothing else to do, nothing I could focus on. I felt so incredibly empty.

And then parents turned up to pick up their children from school. I knew that I had to wait to take the Hogwarts Express, as my mother sure as hell wouldn't come to pick me up. Daphne and Tracey did get picked up and they offered to take me with them, but it wasn't allowed.

So I just waited another day on my own to take the train like all the muggle-born children who didn't have parents to apparate to the school.

The school was deadly quiet during those days. No one said anything during breakfast, supper or lunch and the hallways were mostly empty. All remaining exams had been cancelled, so all we could do was wait, and I did.

It was already a few days into July when I took the Hogwarts Express back home. I didn't know what to expect. Would my mother come to pick me up at the platform? Would my father be out of Azkaban already? And most of all: Was Draco okay?

Even more questions surfaced when Narcissa Malfoy was waiting for me on Platform nine and three-quarters. I frowned as I stepped off the train. She couldn't be here for Draco, so why was she here for me?

The blood drained from my face as I saw the sad look on her face. Did something happen to Draco? She wore only black, but she always did.

"Is Draco okay?" I asked immediately as I reached her. Narcissa smiled slightly and nodded, taking a million pounds off of my shoulders. I felt like I could breathe again.

"Thank Merlin", I sighed. I quickly hugged her.

"He didn't do it, Eleanor", she whispered in my ear softly before breaking the hug. I frowned and stared at her.

"He didn't?" I asked. She shook her head and smiled slightly.

"Severus did. But Draco is fine anyway. The Dark Lord is just pleased that it's done and that he managed to finish the cabinet", she said. I took a couple of deep breaths.

Draco was not a murderer.

That thought made me calm down so much and Narcissa being here was a life-saver. I knew that it would be almost impossible to hide my concern for Draco if she hadn't updated me in advance. Now I could go to Malfoy Manor and play the pretend-game again.

Everything had gone according to plan.

"You'll be staying at the Manor for a while, Eleanor", Narcissa said suddenly, a sad look on her face again.