Percy Jackson

A/N that's a oneshot I did recently, if you're interested. Also, last chapter's winning comment was "idk why but I found the word bedazzled hilarious" from @me_next_time

So, I was a little worried as to what my internship at Biotechnix would entail.

I mean, I wasn't as smart as Peter. Sure, I knew my way around a math problem, but Biotechnix did mostly biology related stuff. I supposed I could manage if I could worm my way into a marine biology area. But, even then, my only advantage would be being able to directly speak with the animals, and that would only blow my cover. Besides, didn't they focus on prosthetics? Why would they have live animals on site?

I frowned as I halfheartedly pounded on the punching bag. I was overthinking this, a habit I rarely exercised. What did interns even do anyways? I would probably just be assigned to grab coffee for Dr. Whatshisface or make copies for Dr. Reallysmartperson. I had nothing to worry about. Everything was going to be just fine...

"Percy!" Peter squeaked as he burst through my door. He seemed slightly disheveled in his panic. A small bit of his t-shirt had managed to get tucked into his basketball shorts, and his socks were rolled up to different heights, not to mention the chaotic state of his curls.

"Peter?" I gaped, grabbing the abused bag to halt its swing. "What's up? Did a monster get in again?" He stared at me for a moment, opening and closing his mouth, as if deciding on what to say. "Dude, you're not a fish."

He laughed nervously. "Ah, sorry. It's just, well, this is my first real assignment."

"You've been Spider-Man for how long and they've not given you any field work? No wonder you're excited."

"No, I mean yes. I just-" He groaned. "I'm nervous. Like, I can't blow my cover because, one day, I'll be living back with Aunt May, and I really can't put her in danger. I always thought that my first assignment would be as Spider-Man, not Peter Parker."

"Hey, look, I get it," I said after a moment. "We've both got a double life situation happening, and it isn't easy."

"No kidding," he chuckled. "You'd think that I'd be better at this after all this time."

"Patience, young padawan," I smirked, pausing for a beat so he could fully appreciate the reference. "I've been keeping my secrets since I was twelve."

"Twelve?!"

"Yeah. So, you do all the science, and I'll make all the alibis up to keep our cover."

"I can keep our cover!" he squawked indignantly.

"Peter," I drawled, "I go to school with you. No one can go to the bathroom for a full hour."

"There was a hostage situation on-"

"I'm just saying, you need some better lies," I snickered. "Anyways, I was just about to go get permission to go on a run. You in?"

"You do a lot of cardio," Peter remarked with a nod, falling in stride with me as I headed to find Natasha.

"Uh, yeah. My lungs took some damage from breathing something poisonous a while back. I started doing more of it to build back up my endurance, and I just never stopped. A year ago, I wouldn't have been able to live here without using the elevator."

"Huh. Do you mind if I ask about that."

"I do mind, actually. It wasn't pleasant." I poked my head in a kitchen. Sure enough, Nat was there trying to coax Clint away from the snacks. Gods, that guy was ridiculous. "Hey, Nat!"

"What's up, boys?" she grunted as she warded off the archer's attacks.

"We were going to run?" Peter said.

"Okay! Clint, no! You've had plenty already!"

"False!" he screeched as I backed out of the weirdness that was going down. What was up with Clint's newfound obsession? Sure, he'd always seemed to have a bit of a sweet tooth, but this was pushing things a bit too far.

"What do you think is up with Clint?" Peter asked once we were out of earshot and heading down the stairs. So I wasn't the only one to have noticed.

"I'm not sure. Like, I can see why he was so over the top about being out of snacks this weekend, especially with a craving for something specific. But, it's like he's never going to be satisfied."

"If he's not careful, he'll put on some pounds," Peter added. "That could be devastating during a mission. Clint would never do anything to risk something like that."

"He's a fun guy, but it's like he lost the ability to take anything other than those Nutty Buddies seriously."

"Which is totally weird. I remember he used to be almost completely serious! I asked him about it after having met him, and he went on about how he had to be precise since he doesn't have powers or anything," the spider-teen explained as he ran his fingers through his hair and fixed his shirt.

"Really? Glad he's loosened up a little."

_/\_

"Percy Jackson." The voice was rough, and it was coming from an alley Peter and I had just passed. It was probably a monster, but it would be better to kill it now rather than get expelled later.

"Peter, I'm going to double back," I breathed, immediately doing a 180. The vigilante followed suit after a moment, and we soon found ourselves face to face with a Telekhine.

Now, maybe your life is normal and not consistently threatened, so you don't know what Telekhine is. Think dog, like the ugliest mutt to ever exist. Take Mr. Uglydog's head and crop it onto the body of a slimy, overweight seal. The flippers were kind of foot like, but just enough to increase the hobble speed to a threatening pace. And then, as if they weren't weren't disturbing enough, tack on clawed human hands.

"Oh my gosh," Peter gawked. "What is that thing?"

"Well, Sea Spawn, I think it's time I return the favor from Mt St Helens, don't you?" he snarled. "It's time for pain!"

"Dude! Do you know this thing?"

"It's always time for pain!" I whined. "Why can't you be original?"

"I'm going to make you want to die!"

"Hey, c'mon? This is Gen Z. You're a little late to the party on that one, bud."

"I'm going to make you... not be able to see out of both your eyes!"

"Are you for real right now?"

"Argh! What intimidates you?!"

I paused and shared a glance with Peter, who was wide eyed, and shrugged. "I dunno. Eighth graders?"

A/N there is now a ToS Discord! Dm me to get in: FictionFanTeen#3259

Chapter winners are now going to be posted on my message board and in the Discord rather than at the beginning of each new chapter because of convenience.