Chapter Thirty

The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way we can grow is if we change. The only way we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we are exposed is if we throw ourselves into the open.

— C. Joybell

Ashley Davis Harris

The accusing eyes meant to unnerve me, but it was only fueling me to stare back at them with determination and the signature haughty look of Davis. All the men wanted to convey their untrusting view towards me. They wanted show where I stood in their eyes, but I was my father's daughter and my husband's wife.

If I had learned anything from them, never show outsiders your fear. Especially to those who intended to crush you.

Although I was nervous, my insides twisting and making me relive what I ate for breakfast, I held that instinct in. Biting the inside of my mouth, I pierced myself with my nails. No way was I going to give them the benefit of seeing me agonize. My pride compelled me to sit ramrod on the head of the table. I felt the familiar strand of remorse as I realized it was Papa's seat. Would he want me to take his place?

My mother sat to my right, schooling her features whereas Mr. Miller took the seat to my left, nervously shuffling the papers his associate presented to him. When the shareholders sitting regally on the other side were busy showing their distaste, especially the one in the middle, Mr. Miller smoothly passed over a file to me.

I clasped my hands over the table, ensuring the file was between my elbows, and regarded them in a cool voice that I must say I learned from Mr. Tyler Sanders. "What is your purpose here, gentlemen? After all, it is unusual to see men in suits coming to the estate uninvited."

Never have I ever talked with an attitude before the opposite gender without the exception of Neil. My heart felt heavy with the thought of him, but I suppressed the sentiment in fear of exposing myself. In the past, unfortunately, girls were always the victims of my snarky behavior. In fear of Grandmama, I never dared to verbally attack a man before.

The man, who sat directly before me on the other side of the table forced a smile. "We would have been talking to your mother. " He glanced at my mother who simply raised a mocking eyebrow, wholly knowing if he had his way, he would not be talking to any ladies of this house. Changing his focus, he barely concealed his scowl at another set of files Mr. Miller laid on the table and gritted out. "But certain issues led to talking to you."

Although I was capable now, I did not bother to start a verbal spat with this man. He was around Papa's age with black hair and chevron mustache that did nothing to hide his sneer. With a calm demeanor, I simply opened the file before me and studied its contents while I gestured to the anxious man beside me. "Mr. Miller, would you like to enlighten me about these certain issues Mr. Wesley Allen speak of before I decide to dismiss this meeting?"

Simply lifting my eyes to the man, I caught his startled eyes and smirked. Even though, our family lawyer might seem incompetent with his squirming, he managed to provide all the informations of the men and I caught on fast. Mr. Allen hold the largest shares in the company after Papa and I could see he wanted to takeover the business since Papa could not manage it anymore. It did not take a genius to figure out that the rest of the men were his minions holding few percentages of the shares too.

Mr. Miller had been with our family since years. He had been an attorney as well as an advisor to Papa so I could not guess why he was swallowing continuously, unable to hold a straight face. This was starting to irritate me because past week had been dreadful, and I did not have the patience to deal with bunch of egoistic men who thought to belittle my family and me.